About splitting and non-splitting schemes for conservation laws in 2-D
In this paper we shall discuss some problems which may arise in the context of dimensional splitting for conservation laws. We shall study a directionally adapted scheme which has better stability properties at least for anisotropic scalar equations in 2-D. This algorithm can be generalized to the non-linear unsteady Euler equations in 2-D and can be used to reduce the system locally to a scalar equation in 2-D.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [COL]P. Colella, Multidimensional upwind methods for hyperbolic conservation laws. Report Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory 17023, 1984.Google Scholar
- [HLD]Ch. Hirsch, C. Lacor, H. Deconinck, Convection algorithm on a diagonal procedure for the multidimensional Euler equation. AIAA, Proceedings of the 8-th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference 1987.Google Scholar
- [KR1]D. Kröner/Numerical schemes for the Euler equations in two space dimensions without dimensional splitting. Proceedings of the 2-nd International Conference on Nonlinear Hyperbolic Equations-Theory, Computation Methods, and Applications. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 24, Braunschweig 1989.Google Scholar
- [KR2]D. Kröner. Directionally adapted upwind schemes in 2-D for the Euler equations. DFG Priority Research Programme, Results 1986–1988, Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 25, Braunschweig 1989.Google Scholar
- [LV1]R.J. LeVeque, High resolution finite volume methods on grids via wave propagation. ICASE report 87-68, 1987Google Scholar
- [LV2]R.J. LeVeque, Cartesian grid methods for flow in irregular regions. To appear in the Proceedings of the Oxford Conference on Numerical Methods in Fluid Dynamics, 1988.Google Scholar
- [RM]R.D. Richtmyer, K.W. Morton, Difference methods for initial-value problems. Second edition, New York 1967.Google Scholar
- [RO1]P. Roe, A basis for upwind differentiating of the two dimensional unsteady Euler equations. Numerical methods for fluid dynamics II, Eds.: Morton, Baines, Oxford Univ. Press 1986.Google Scholar
- [RO2]P. Roe, Linear advection schemes on triangular meshes. CoA Report No 8720, Cranfield 1987.Google Scholar
- [RO3]P. Roe, Discontinuous solutions to hyperbolic systems under operator splitting. Manuscript.Google Scholar
- [SMO]J. Smoller, Shockwaves and reaction-diffusion equations. New York Heidelberg Berlin 1983.Google Scholar
- [SOD]G.A. Sod, Numerical methods in fluid dynamics. Initial and initial boundary value problems. Cambridge 1985.Google Scholar