A Streamwise Upwind Algorithm Applied to Vortical flow over a Delta Wing
Improvements have been made to a streamwise upwind algorithm so that it can be used for calculating flows with vortices. A calculation is shown of flow over a delta wing at an angle of attack. The laminar, thin-layer, Navier-Stokes equations are used for the calculation. The results are compared with another upwind method, a central-differencing method, and experimental data. The present method shows improvements in accuracy and convergence properties.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- van Leer, B., Thomas, J. L., Roe, P. L., Newsome, R. W.: “A comparison of numerical flux formulas for the Euler and Navier-Stokes equations,” AIAA Paper 87-1104-CP, Proc. AIAA 8th Comp. Fluid Dynamics Conf., Honolulu, June 1987.Google Scholar
- Vatsa, V. N., Thomas, J. L., Wedan, B. W.; “Navier-Stokes computations of prolate spheroids at angle of attack,” AIAA Paper 87-2627-CP, Aug. 1987.Google Scholar
- Jameson, A.: “Transonic potential flow calculations in conservation form,” Proc. AIAA 2nd Comp. Fluid Dynamics Conf., Hartford, Conn., June 1975, pp. 148-161.Google Scholar
- Goorjian, P. M.: “Algorithm development for the Euler equations with calculations of transonic flows,” AIAA Paper 87-0536, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- Goorjian, P. M.: “A new algorithm for the Navier-Stokes equations applied to transonic flows over wing,” AIAA Paper 87-1121-CP, Proc. AIAA 8th Comp. Fluid Dynamics Conf., Honolulu, June 1987.Google Scholar
- Goorjian, P. M.: “A streamwise upwind algorithm for the Euler and Navier-Stokes equations applied to transonic flows,” Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics III, Inst. Mathematics & Appl. Conf. Series, New Series No. 17, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1988.Google Scholar
- Obayashi, S., Goorjian, P. M.: “Improvements and applications of a streamwise upwind algorithm,” AIAA Paper 89-1957-CP, Proc. AIAA 9th Comp. Fluid Dynamics Conf., pp. 292-302, June 1989.Google Scholar
- Obayashi, S., Gayali, S.: “Three-dimensional simulation of underexpanded plumes using upwind algorithms,” Supercomputing 88, II Science and Applications, pp. 25–33, IEEE Computer Society Press, Washington, D.C., 1989.Google Scholar
- van Leer, B., Lee, W.-T., Powell, K. G.: “Sonic-point capturing,” AIAA Paper 89-1945-CP, Proc. AIAA 9th Comp. Fluid Dynamics Conf., pp. 176-187, June 1989.Google Scholar
- Albone, C. M., Hall, M. G.: “A scheme for the improved capture of shock waves in potential flow calculations,” RAE TR 80128, Oct. 1980.Google Scholar
- Obayashi, S.: “Numerical simulation of underexpanded plumes using upwind algorithms,” AIAA Paper 88-4360-CP, Aug. 1988.Google Scholar
- Fujii, K., Obayashi, S.: “Evaluation of Euler and Navier-Stokes solutions for leading-edge and shock-induced separations,” AIAA Paper 85-1563, June 1985.Google Scholar
- Miller, D. S., Wood, R. M.: “Lee-side flow over delta wings at supersonic speeds,” NASA TP-2430, June 1985.Google Scholar