Traditionelle Heilkundige — Ärztliche Persönlichkeiten im Vergleich der Kulturen und medizinischen Systeme / Traditional Healers — Iatric Personalities in Different Cultures and medical Systems pp 133-144 | Cite as
Traditional Medicine and Traditional Healers in North Yemen
Traditional medicine in Yemen comprises medical beliefs and practices which are determined by a variety of epidemiological, cultural, historical, and economic factors. These include, first of all, the range of common diseases caused, in great part, by the interaction between a harsh unsanitary environment and the poor nutritional status of the Yemen population. Another factor influencing medical beliefs and practices is the rich cultural repertoire of Islam. The heritage of Islam provides not only the philosophical rationale for therapy but also its scientific bases. Finally, Yemen’s historical experience, having been comparatively isolated from the western world, has retarded the spread of the western model of medicine throughout the country. Only recently, with starting changes in the Yemeni economy and the strengthening of the Ministry of Health, have modern practitioners, clinics and synthetic medicaments come within reach of more, but by no means all, ordinary Yemenis. Thus modern Yemen may provide insights into the relationship between socio-economic development and health and the process of medical pluralism.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AL-ANTAKI, DAWUD BIN’UMAR 1952 Memorandum for intelligent people on the collection of strangest of strange things. (Tadhikira Uli al-Ulbab al-Jama’ lil-’Ujab al-Ujab) Vol. 1,2 Written 1008 A.H. Published: Dar al-Fikr, BeirutGoogle Scholar
- FLEURENTIN, JACQUES, PELT, Jean Marie 1980 Thérapeutiques et pharmacopées traditionelles du Yemen. 5th International Conference on Ethnomedicine (Ethnobotany and Ethnopharmacology). 30. Nov.-3. Dec. 1980, Freiburg, AllemagneGoogle Scholar
- MYNTTI, CYNTHIA 1979 Women and Development in Yemen Arab Republic. German Agency for Technical Cooperation GTZ. EschbornGoogle Scholar
- MYNTTI, CYNTHIA 1983 Medicine in its social context. Observations from rural north Yemen. Ph.D. Thesis. Anthropology. The London School of EconomicsGoogle Scholar
- SAHIB AL-YAMAN, AL-MALAK, AL-MIZFIR YUSIF BIN UMAR BIN ALI BIN RASUL AL-GHASANI AL-TURKUMANI 1975 The reliable source on simple drugs (al-Mu’damad fi-l-Adawiya al-mafruda) Written 694. A.H. Published: Dar al-Ma’rafa, BeirutGoogle Scholar
- SEYYED HOSSEIN NASR 1976 Islamic Sciences: An IllustratedGoogle Scholar
- STUDY. World of Islam Festival. Publishing Company Ltd WESTERMARCK, E. 1973 Pagan Survivals in Mohammedan Civilisation. Philo Press, Amsterdam, Holland: 1–86Google Scholar