Decentralization and Local Government in Sri Lanka
The public debate over local government in Sri Lanka has been dominated by the ethnic conflict in the country. For the last 20 years efforts to change and reform local government in the country have focused on devolution as a means to provide increased representation for the Sri Lankan Tamil ethnic minority and resolve their demands for an independent state. As a result there have been few efforts over the last 15 years to improve local representation and development. Although there have been many changes in local government over the last 25 years, most have been cosmetic in nature, changing the names of offices and councils but having little impact on the power relations between the national government and local governments or in the efficiency of local government.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bastian, S. (ed.) 1994. Devolution and Development in Sri Lanka. Delhi: Konarak Publishers.Google Scholar
- Commissioner of Elections. 1997. 1997: General elections to Municipal and Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas. Colombo: Commissioner of Elections (mimeograph).Google Scholar
- Government of Sri Lanka. 2001. Statistical Abstract of the Democratic Republic of Sri Lanka 2000. Colombo: Department of Census and Statistics. Also available at http://www.statistics.govik/Abstract/chapters/200contents.htm.Google Scholar
- Hewavitharana, B. 1997. Economic Consequences of the Devolution Package and an Evaluation of Decentralisation. Colombo: Sinhala Weera Vidahana.Google Scholar
- Leitan, G.T., Bandaranayake, S.A., and V. N. Sivarajah. 1994. Sri Lanka’s System of Provincial Councils: The Second Phase. Colombo: Centre for Regional Development Studies.Google Scholar
- International Centre for Ethnic Studies. 1996. Sri Lanka: The Devolution Debate. Colombo: International Centre for Ethnic Studies.Google Scholar
- Nanayakkara, V. K. 1989. Local Government. In Public Administration in Sri Lanka: A Symposium, edited by V.T. Navaratne, P.L.A.F. Fernando and C.T. Elangasekere. Colombo: Sri Lanka Institute of Development Administration.Google Scholar
- Waidyasekera, D. D. M. 2000. Decentralization and Provincial Finance in Sri Lanka. Colombo: Institute of Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Wanasinghe, S. 1999. Effective Local Governance: The Foundation for aFunctioning Democracy in Sri Lanka. Colombo: Institute of Policy Studies.Google Scholar
- Wiswa Warnapala, W. A. 1993. Local Politics in Sri Lanka: An Analysis of the LocalGovernment Election of May 1991. New Delhi: South Asian Publishers.Google Scholar