How to Document a Clinical Study and Avoid Common Mistakes in Study Conduct?
Study conduct is an important and sensitive part of a clinical research project. Adequate planning is paramount to avoid mistakes with potential legal or quality-related consequences. Principal investigators should comply with legal requirements to avoid an early discontinuation of the study. Regulatory binders should be available on-site at any time of the study both in case of an audit and to be consulted by the study team if required. All study activities, from patient eligibility check to data collection through informed consent and study visits, should be carefully planned and scheduled in agreement with the study team prior to first patient enrollment. To allow for a high-quality study, which would deserve to be published in a high-ranked journal, a professional preparation is the key to success.
- 1.ICH tripartite guideline for good clinical practices E6 (R1). 1996. http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Efficacy/E6/E6_R1_Guideline.pdf.
- 2.NCCIH clinical research toolbox—essential documents/regulatory binder. https://nccih.nih.gov/grants/toolbox#binder.
- 3.(2016) regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation). Official Journal L 119, 4.5.2016, p. 1–88. Official Journal L 119 1–88.Google Scholar
- 4.Administration USDoHaHSFaD. Guidance for industry—electronic source data in clinical investigations. 2013. https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM328691.pdf.
- 5.Administration USDoHaHSFaD. Guidance for industry—investigator responsibilities—protecting the rights, safety, and welfare of study subjects. 2009. https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/.../Guidances/UCM187772.pdf.
- 12.Communication from the commission—detailed guidance on the request to the competent authorities for authorisation of a clinical trial on a medicinal product for human use tnos.Google Scholar
- 13.Theisen D, Moksnes H, Hardy C, Engebretsen L, Seil R. How to organise an international register in compliance with the European GDPR: walking in the footsteps of PAMI (Paediatric ACL Monitoring Initiative). Google Scholar
- 16.FDA. Guidance for Institutional Review Boards and clinical investigators—recruiting study subjects—information sheet. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm126428.htm.
- 17.FDA. Guidance for Institutional Review Boards and clinical investigators—screening tests prior to study enrollment—information sheet. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm126430.htm.
- 24.Lösch C, Neuhäuser M. The statistical analysis of a clinical trial when a protocol amendment changed the inclusion criteria. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008;8:16.Google Scholar