Insights into Reductive Dehalogenase Function Obtained from Crystal Structures
Reductive dehalogenases are a class of corrinoid and [4Fe–4S] cluster-dependent enzymes that are arguably key to organohalide respiration. Recently, the first crystal structures for these enzymes were reported, including one representative of both a respiratory as well as a nonrespiratory catabolic reductive dehalogenase. The comparison made between both structures establishes two highly conserved elements: the configuration of the redox chain within the protein and the Tyr–Lys/Arg active site dyad involved in proton transfer to the substrate. In contrast, the substrate binding elements are highly distinct. These insights serve to guide further study of RdhA structure–function relationships.
KeywordsDirect Electron Transfer Halogen Bond Sulfur Cluster Substrate Binding Pocket Reductive Dehalogenases
- Holscher T, Krajmalnik-Brown R, Ritalahti KM, Von Wintzingerode F, Gorisch H, Loffler FE, Adrian L (2004) Multiple nonidentical reductive-dehalogenase-homologous genes are common in dehalococcoides. Appl Environ Microbiol 70(9):5290–5297. doi: 10.1128/AEM.70.9.5290-5297.2004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Krautler B, Fieber W, Ostermann S, Fasching M, Ongania KH, Gruber K, Kratky C, Mikl C (2003) The cofactor of tetrachloroethene reductive dehalogenase of Dehalospirillum multivorans is norpseudo-B-12, a new type of a natural corrinoid. Helv Chim Acta 86(11):3698–3716. doi: 10.1002/hlca.200390313 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neumann A, Siebert A, Trescher T, Reinhardt S, Wohlfarth G, Diekert G (2002) Tetrachloroethene reductive dehalogenase of Dehalospirillum multivorans: substrate specificity of the native enzyme and its corrinoid cofactor. Arch Microbiol 177(5):420–426. doi: 10.1007/s00203-002-0409-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Parthasarathy A, Stich TA, Lohner ST, Lesnefsky A, Britt RD, Spormann AM (2015) Biochemical and EPR-spectroscopic investigation into heterologously expressed vinyl chloride reductive dehalogenase (VcrA) from Dehalococcoides mccartyi strain VS. J Am Chem Soc 137(10):3525–3532. doi: 10.1021/ja511653d CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- van de Pas BA, Smidt H, Hagen WR, van der Oost J, Schraa G, Stams AJ, de Vos WM (1999) Purification and molecular characterization of ortho-chlorophenol reductive dehalogenase, a key enzyme of halorespiration in Desulfitobacterium dehalogenans. J Biol Chem 274(29):20287–20292CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar