Global Lung Cancer Risks Induced by Inhalation Exposure to PAHs
It has been well illustrated that human exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) through various routes is associated with cancer (USEPA 2014; Boffetta et al. 1997; Chen and Liao 2006). Increased lung cancer risks were observed from both occupational and environmental exposure to PAHs and well documented by previous studies (Boffetta et al. 1997; Armstrong et al. 2004; Brüske-Hohlfeld et al. 2000). As a result, one of the high-molecular-weight PAHs, benzo[a]pyrene (BaP), has been classified as one of the most carcinogenic agents by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC 2014).
KeywordsIndividual Susceptibility Abatement Cost Lung Cancer Risk Population Attributable Fraction Lung Cancer Incidence
- Editorial Committee for the Atlas of Cancer Mortality (1976). Atlas of Cancer Mortality in the People’s Republic of China. China Map Press.Google Scholar
- ESRI Inc (2014). ArcGIS for Desktop. Retrieved from http://www.esri.com.
- Ferlay, J., Soerjomataram, I., Ervik, M., Dikshit, R., Eser, S., Mathers, C., et al. (2014). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC cancerbase No. 11 [Internet] Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Retrieved from http://globocan.iarc.fr.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) (2014). Agents classified by the IARC monographs, volumes 1–109. Retrieved from http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/index.php.
- Microsoft Corporation (2014). All Office products. Retrieved from http://office.microsoft.com.
- Shen, H. Z., Huang, Y., Wang, R., Zhu, D., Li, W., Shen, G., et al. (2013). Global atmospheric emissions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from 1960 to 2008 and future predictions. Environmental Science and Technology, 47, 6415–6424.Google Scholar
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) (2014). Provisional guidance for quantitative risk assessment of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Retrieved from http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/cfm/recordisplay.cfm?deid=49732.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2014). Global Health Observatory Data Repository. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.