A ML-Based High-Accuracy Estimation of Sampling and Carrier Frequency Offsets for OFDM Systems
- 536 Downloads
This paper addresses the problem of acquiring the sampling frequency offset (SFO) and carrier frequency offset (CFO), which severely degrade the performance of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) system. Using two identical frequency domain (FD) long training symbols in preamble, we propose a novel maximum-likelihood (ML) estimation method to simultaneously acquire the values of SFO and CFO, which extend the Kim’s and Wang’s estimation methods. The main contribution of this paper is that the first-order Legendre series expansion is used to obtain the SFO and CFO values in closed-form. For obtaining the performance of the proposed estimation scheme, we built the OFDM system model according to IEEE 802.11a. The results show that the proposed scheme achieves the best performance to the existing schemes.
KeywordsSampling frequency offset Carrier frequency offset Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing Legendre series expansion
This work is supported by National Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61170083, 61373032) and Specialized Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education (Grant No. 20114307110001).
- 1.IEEE: Supplement to IEEE standard for information technology - telecommunications and information exchange between systems - local and metropolitan area networks - specific requirements. part 11: Wireless lan medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: High-speed physical layer in the 5 GHz band. IEEE Std 802.11a (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE: IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks part 16: Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems draft amendment: Management information base extensions. IEEE Unapproved Draft Std P802.16i/D5 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE: Etsi, digital video broadcasting (DVD): frame structure, channel coding and modulation for digital terrestrial television (DVD-T). ETSI EN 300 744 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.IEEE: Digital radio mondiale (DRM): System specification. ETSI ES 201 980 v3.1.1 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Freda, M.M., Weng, J., Le-Ngoc, T.: Joint channel estimation and synchronization for OFDM systems. In: 2004 IEEE 60th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC2004-Fall, vol. 3, pp. 1673–1677 (2004)Google Scholar