Practice What You Teach: Teaching Sustainable Tourism Through a Critically Reflexive Approach
The use of critical theory, while gaining momentum in some areas of tourism research, is rarely extended to the teaching of tourism in higher education. This paper explores the role and value of critical pedagogy as it relates to how we teach tourism studies. In particular, the paper adopts a reflexive, autobiographical approach to outline my own efforts to build Critically Reflective Practice (CRP) into an undergraduate sustainable tourism class. In doing so, I aim to address concerns that there is little guidance on how to ‘do’ critically reflective practice. As such, practical examples are provided to assist tourism academics who are interested in incorporating CRP into their curricula. Ultimately, it is argued that CRP has the potential to transform the teaching experience, (re)motivate the lecturer’s enthusiasm for the teaching role, and provide a stronger nexus between teaching and research.
KeywordsCritical pedagogy Critically reflective practice Sustainable tourism Higher education
This chapter is based on some aspects of an earlier conference paper (Wilson, 2010), though it has been significantly changed and updated. The paper is Wilson, E. (2010, February 8–11). Practice what you teach: Using critically reflective practice in teaching sustainable tourism planning. In S. Crispin et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 20th annual conference, Council for Australian University Tourism and Hospitality Education, Hobart, Tasmania. Hobart: CAUTHE (CD Rom).
- Atkinson, G., Dietz, S., & Neumayer, E. (Eds.). (2007). Handbook of sustainable development. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Biggs, J., & Tang, C. (2007). Teaching for quality learning at university (3rd ed.). Berkshire: McGraw-Hill/The Society for Research into Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Brookfield, S. (1987). Developing critical thinkers: Challenging adults to explore alternative ways of thinking and acting. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Brookfield, S. (1995). Becoming a critically reflective teacher. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Brookfield, S. (2005). The power of critical theory for adult learning and teaching. Berkshire: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Brookfield, S. (2006). Developing critical thinkers: Supplementary materials. http://www.stephenbrookfield.com. Accessed 19 Apr 2007.
- Fisher, K. (2004). Critical reflection: What is it and how do you do it? Paper prepared for Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW (pp. 1–9).Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Fullagar, S., & Wilson, E. (2012). Critical pedagogies: A reflexive approach to knowledge creation in tourism and hospitality studies. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 19(July, e2), 6 p. Published online 17/7/2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jht.2012.3.
- Gabennesch, H. (2003). Critical thinking: What is it good for? (In fact, what is it?). Skeptical Inquirer, 30(2), 36–41.Google Scholar
- Hooks, B. (2003). Teaching community: A pedagogy of hope. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Jafari, J. (1990). Research and scholarship: The basis of tourism education. Journal of Tourism Studies, 1(1), 33–41.Google Scholar
- Merriam, S. B., Caffarella, R. S., & Baumgartner, L. M. (2006). Learning in adulthood: A comprehensive guide (3rd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Schön, D. (1983). The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Weaver, D. B. (2005). Sustainable tourism: Theory and practice. Oxford: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Wilson, E. (2010). Practice what you teach: Using critically reflective practice in teaching sustainable tourism planning. In S. Crispin, A. Dunn, S. Fishwick, A. Franklin, D. Hanson, D. Reiser, R. Shipway, M. Wells, & C. Baxter (Eds.), Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference, Council for Australian University Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE, Hobart, Tasmania, 8–11th February). Hobart: CAUTHE (CD Rom).Google Scholar