Pixel Art Color Palette Synthesis
Pixel art is created together with a color palette which greatly affects the overall visual quality. From a given image with hundreds of thousands of colors, it is difficult to pick out a limited number of colors for the color palette. We propose an automatic system, which adopts similar steps of the manual creation processes by pixel art artists, to effectively synthesize the color palette of a pixel art from a given image. Based on our approach, both artists and novices can easily derive a low-resolution image which is very close to the required final pixel art.
KeywordsPixel Art Color Palette Color Quantization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heckbert, P.S.: Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display. SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 297-307. ACM (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Celebi, M. E.: Improving the Performance of k-means for color quantization. Image and Vision Computing, vol. 29, no.4, pp. 260-271 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Inglis, T.C., and Craig S.K.: Pixelating vector line art. Proceedings of the Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp.21-28. Eurographics Association (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Inglis, T.C., Vogel, D., and Craig S.K.: Rasterizing and antialiasing vector line art in the pixel art style. Proceedings of the Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp. 25-32. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Gerstner, T., DeCarlo, D., Alexa, M., Finkelstein, A., Gingold, Y., Nealen, A.: Pixelated image abstraction. Proceedings of the Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp. 19-36. Eurographics Association (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Gerstner, T., DeCarlo, D., Alexa, M., Finkelstein, A., Gingold, Y., Nealen, A.: Pixelated image abstraction with integrated user constraints. Special session on Expressive Graphics, Computer and Graphics, vol. 37, no. 5, pp.333-347 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Kopf, J., Shamir, A., and Peers, P.: Content-adaptive image downscaling. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG). Vol. 32, no.6, p. 173 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.DeviantArt, pixel art tutorial search results http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?q=pixel+art+tutorial
- 9.MacQueen, J.: Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations. Proceedings of the fifth Berkeley symposium on mathematical statistics and probability. vol. 1, no. 14, pp. 281-297 (1967)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, Z., Bovik, A. C., Sheikh, H. R., and Simoncelli, E. P.: Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp.600-612 (2004).Google Scholar