Access and Resources Reservation in 4G-VANETs for Multimedia Applications
The development of Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks (VANET) has witnessed the release of various multimedia services and made it important to develop architectures and routing protocols capable of (a) handling the multimedia QoSs requirements and the real-time services’ constraints; (b) maximizing the network coverage; and (c) managing resources on the Road Side Units (RSUs), in order to guarantee the continuous delivery of real-time services.
In this work, we provide a novel 4G-based VANET heterogeneous architecture, which integrates IEEE 802.11p and 3GPP LTE access networks, to provide access to multimedia services. A tree-based network access scheme is developed, providing a rapid connection and handover to highly mobility vehicles, and allowing to maximize at a large extent the network coverage beyond the area uncovered by RSUs (in the form of LTE eNodeBs). Techniques for the proactive resources provision on the RSUs, and the management of QoS-aware vertical and horizontal handovers, are developed.
KeywordsVANET Multimedia 4G Tree-based access QoS
- 1.Physical layer procedures: 3GPP TS 36.213, ETSI (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Bilstrup, K., Uhlemann, E., Ström, E., Bilstrup, U.: On the ability of the 802.11p mac method and stdma to support real-time vehicle-to-vehicle communication. EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Netw. 2009, 1–13 (2009). http://jwcn.eurasipjournals.com/content/pdf/1687-1499-2009-902414.pdf
- 3.Garai, M., Boudriga, N.: A novel architecture for qos provision on vanet. In: High-Capacity Optical Network and Emerging/Enabling Technologies (HONET-CNS 2013), Cyprus, December 2013Google Scholar
- 4.Rémy, G., Senouci, S.M., Jan, F., Gourhant, Y.: Lte4v2x: Lte for a centralized vanet organization. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2011), Houston, TX, USA, December 2011Google Scholar
- 5.Sivaraj, R., Gopalakrishnay, A.K., Chandraz, M.G., Balamuralidhar, P.: Qos-enabled group communication in integrated vanet-lte heterogeneous wireless networks. In: 7th IEEE Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications Conference (WiMob), Wuhan, China, October 2011Google Scholar
- 7.Sun, W., Yamaguchi, H., Yukimasa, K., Kusumoto, S.: Gvgrid: a qos routing protocol for vehicular ad hoc networks. In: 14th IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service, New Haven, CT, USA, June 2006Google Scholar
- 8.Tal, I., Muntean, G.M.: User-oriented cluster-based solution for multimedia content delivery over vanets. In: 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting (BMSB), Seoul, South Korea, June 2012Google Scholar