A Novel Collaborative Approach for Sinkhole Detection in MANETs
This paper presents a novel approach intended to detect sinkholes in MANETs running AODV. The study focuses on the detection of the well-known sinkhole attack, devoted to attract most of the surrounding network traffic by providing fake routes, and thus, invalidating alternative legitimate routes and disrupting the normal network operation. Our detection approach relies on the existence of “contamination borders”, formed by legitimate nodes under the influence of the sinkhole attack and, at the same time, neighbors of non-contaminated legitimate nodes. Thus, by collecting the routing information of the neighbors, these nodes are likely to be able to properly detect sinkholes. We evaluate our approach in a simulation framework and the experimental results show the promising nature of this approach in terms of detection capabilities.
KeywordsAODV Intrusion detection systems MANETs Poisoning attacks Sinkhole
This work has been partially supported by Spanish MICINN through project TEC2011-22579 and by Spanish MECD through the grant “University Professor Training Program” (FPU, Ref.: AP2009-2926).
- 1.Lakhtaria, K.I. (ed.): Technological Advancements and Applications in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks: Research Trends. IGI Global, Hershey (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.García-Teodoro, P., Sánchez-Casado, L., Maciá-Fernández, G.: Taxonomy and Holistic Detection of Security Attacks in MANETs, pp. 1–12. CRC Press, April 2014. http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466578036
- 3.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF, RFC 3561, July 2003Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, Y., Fan, W., Lee, W., Yu, P.S.: Cross-feature analysis for detecting Ad-Hoc routing anomalies. In: Proceedings of 23rd IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), pp. 478–487, May 2003Google Scholar
- 7.Alem, Y.F., Xuan, Z.C.: Preventing black hole attack in mobile Ad-Hoc networks using anomaly detection. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Future Computer and Communication (ICFCC), vol. 3, pp. 672–676, May 2010Google Scholar
- 8.Kurosawa, S., Nakayama, H., Kato, N., Jamalipour, A., Nemoto, Y.: Detecting blackhole attack on AODV-based mobile Ad Hoc networks by dynamic learning method. Int. J. Netw. Secur. 5(3), 338–346 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Raj, P.N., Swadas, P.B.: DPRAODV: a dynamic learning system against blackhole attack in AODV based MANET. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Issues 2, 54–59 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Al-Shurman, M., Yoo, S.M., Park, S.: Black hole attack in mobile Ad Hoc networks. In: Proceedings of 42nd Annual Southeast Regional Conference (ACM-SE), pp. 96–97, April 2004Google Scholar
- 11.Mistry, N., Jinwala, D.C., Zaveri, M.: Improving AODV protocol against blackhole attacks. In: Proceedings of International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS), pp. 96–97, March 2010Google Scholar
- 12.Mandhata, S.C., Patro, S.N.: A counter measure to black hole attack on AODV-based mobile Ad-Hoc networks. Int. J. Comput. Commun. Technol. (IJCCT) 2(VI), 37–42 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Himral, L., Vig, V., Chand, N.: Preventing AODV routing protocol from black hole attack. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Technol. (IJEST) 3(5), 3927–3932 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Varga, A.: OMNeT++ Discrete Event Simulation System. http://www.omnetpp.org/doc/omnetpp/manual/usman.html. Accessed 14 March 2014