Estimating the Performance of Wheel Dampers Using Laboratory Methods and a Prediction Tool
Wheel and rail dampers are well known mitigation measures against rolling noise. A combination of laboratory measurements and computations seems the most efficient way to determine their effect. The DEUFRAKO project STARDAMP had the aim of supporting the transfer of wheel and rail dampers from the research phase to their regular application. One goal of the project was the development of a prediction tool that is dedicated to the estimation of the efficiency of wheel and rail dampers. The input data relies on laboratory measurements that are relatively easy to perform. This paper focuses on the wheel damper part. Rail dampers are addressed in a companion paper.
KeywordsMode Shape Prediction Tool Nodal Diameter Slab Track Radial Receptances
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Toward, M.G.R., Squicciarini, G., Thompson, D.J., Gao, Y.: Estimating the performance of rail dampers using laboratory methods and a prediction tool. In: Nielsen, J.C.O., Anderson, D., Gautier, P.-E., Iida, M., Nelson, J.T., Thompson, D., Tielkes, T., Towers, D.A., de Vos, P. (eds.) Noise and Vibration Mitigation for Rail Transportation Systems. NNFM, vol. 126, pp. 47–54. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.SILENCE project (2008), http://www.silence-ip.org/site/
- 3.LZarG project, see documentation on, http://www.lzarg.de/
- 5.Betgen, B., Bouvet, P., Thompson, D.J., Demilly, F., Gerlach, T.: Assessment of the efficiency of railway wheel dampers using laboratory methods within the STARDAMP project. In: Proceedings of Acoustics 2012, Nantes (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Timoshenko, S.P., Goodier, J.N.: Theory of elasticity, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill (1982)Google Scholar