Background for a New Standard on Pass-By Measurement of Combined Roughness, Track Decay Rate and Vibroacoustic Transfer Functions
A measurement method for combined roughness, track decay rates and transfer functions derived from rail vibration during a train pass-by was initially developed in the late nineties . This method was later implemented in software tools  and applied in several countries for various purposes [3, 4, 5]. Due to the broad application potential and the need for a common approach, standardisation work has been undertaken since 2011 within the framework of CEN /TC256/WG3. This resulted in a draft CEN Technical Report  in 2013, describing the method and providing background information on benchmarks that could serve as a basis for a new standard. In this paper, the scope and the main elements of the method are presented and performance aspects are discussed.
KeywordsTransfer Function Train Speed Slab Track Late Ninety Vibration Mitigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dittrich, M.G.: Track decay rate measurements using the PBA technique. In: Proceedings of Euronoise 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Jansen, H.W., Janssens, M.H.A., Dittrich, M.G.: Practical applications of total wheel/rail roughness measurements during train pass-bys. In: 9th IWRN, Munich, Germany (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Jansen, H.W., Dittrich, M.G.: Separation of rolling noise and aerodynamic noise by in-service measurement of combined roughness and transfer functions on a high speed slab track. In: Maeda, T., Gautier, P.-E., Hanson, C.E., Hemsworth, B., Nelson, J.T., Schulte-Werning, B., Thompson, D., de Vos, P. (eds.) Noise and Vibration Mitigation for Rail Transportation Systems. NNFM, vol. 118, pp. 479–486. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Dittrich, M.G., et al.: CEN TC256/WG3 Work Item 256538: Measurement method for combined roughness, track decay rates and transfer functions. Draft CEN Technical Report (April 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.2011/229/EU, Commission Decision of 4 April 2011 concerning the technical specifications of interoperability relating to the subsystem ‘rolling stock – noise’ of the trans-European conventional rail system (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.EN 15461:2008+A1:2010: Railway applications - Noise emission - Characterisation of the dynamic properties of track sections for pass by noise measurementsGoogle Scholar