Managing the Prevention of Dental Caries and Sensitivity in Teeth with Enamel Defects
Developmental defects of enamel (DDE) may affect either or both the quality and the quantity of enamel and as such potentially have implications for caries risk and hypersensitivity. The management of these teeth in terms of caries prevention/tooth structure preservation and sensitivity often overlaps and so is presented together. This chapter proposes strategies to address the fundamental deficiencies of the enamel and to optimize clinical and patient outcomes. Earliest possible intervention is advocated and includes oral hygiene, diet and salivary advice, mineralization therapy, and surface sealants. These are all broadly familiar to the clinician from the caries context, but some modifications are recommended when applied to developmental defects. Less familiar techniques, such as the potential applications for recently developed infiltrant resin materials, as well as full coverage “sealants” for severely affected teeth, are also presented.
KeywordsEnamel defects Hypomineralization Hypoplasia Sensitivity Dental caries
- 3.Weerheijm KL. Molar Incisor Hypomineralization (MIH): clinical presentation, aetiology and management. Dent Updat. 2004;31(1):9–12.Google Scholar
- 22.Den Besten P, Giambro N. Treatment of fluorosed and white-spot human enamel with calcium sucrose phosphate in vitro. Pediatr Dent. 1995;17:340–5.Google Scholar
- 25.Crombie F, Manton D, Reynolds E. Therapie der Molaren-Inzisiven-Hypomineralisation (MIH) in einem schwierigen Umfeld” (German translation of MIH – Therapy with difficult conditions, special characteristics of MIH teeth). Quintessenz. 2011;62(12):1593–9.Google Scholar
- 29.Chay P, Manton D, Palamara J. The effect of resin infiltration and oxidative pre-treatment on microshear bond strength of resin composite to hypomineralised enamel. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2014;24(4):252–67.Google Scholar
- 36.Crombie F, Manton D, Palamara J, Reynolds E. Resin infiltration of developmentally hypomineralised enamel. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2014;24(1):51–5.Google Scholar
- 37.Natarajan AK. Characterisation of enamel and effect of resin infiltration in molar-incisor hypomineralisation. University of Otago. Thesis, Doctor of Clinical Dentistry; 2013. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10523/4471 on 10 Mar 2014.