Balancing Bicycle Sharing Systems: An Approach for the Dynamic Case
- 1.3k Downloads
Operators of public bicycle sharing systems (BSSs) have to regularly redistribute bikes across their stations in order to avoid them getting overly full or empty. We consider the dynamic case where this is done while the system is in use. There are two main objectives: On the one hand it is desirable to reach particular target fill levels at the end of the process so that the stations are likely to meet user demands for the upcoming day(s). On the other hand operators also want to prevent stations from running empty or full during the rebalancing process which would lead to unsatisfied customers. We extend our previous work on the static variant of the problem by introducing an efficient way to model the dynamic case as well as adapting our previous greedy and PILOT construction heuristic, variable neighborhood search and GRASP. Computational experiments are performed on instances based on real-world data from Citybike Wien, a BSS operator in Vienna, where the model for user demands is derived from historical data.
KeywordsMixed Integer Programming Dynamic Case User Demand Construction Heuristic Variable Neighborhood Descent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Raidl, G.R., Hu, B., Rainer-Harbach, M., Papazek, P.: Balancing bicycle sharing systems: Improving a VNS by efficiently determining optimal loading operations. In: Blesa, M.J., Blum, C., Festa, P., Roli, A., Sampels, M. (eds.) HM 2013. LNCS, vol. 7919, pp. 130–143. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Rainer-Harbach, M., Papazek, P., Hu, B., Raidl, G.R.: PILOT, GRASP, and VNS approaches for the static balancing of bicycle sharing systems. Technical Report TR 186-1-13-01, Vienna, Austria (29 pages, 2013, submitted to the JOGO) Google Scholar
- 8.Raviv, T., Tzur, M., Forma, I.A.: Static repositioning in a bike-sharing system: models and solution approaches. EURO Journal on Transp. and Log., 1–43 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Contardo, C., Morency, C., Rousseau, L.M.: Balancing a dynamic public bike-sharing system. Technical Report CIRRELT-2012-09, Montreal, Canada (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Schuijbroek, J., Hampshire, R., van Hoeve, W.J.: Inventory Rebalancing and Vehicle Routing in Bike Sharing Systems. Technical Report 2013-E1, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Chemla, D., Meunier, F., Pradeau, T., Calvo, R.W., Yahiaoui, H.: Self-service bike sharing systems: simulation, repositioning, pricing. Technical Report hal-00824078, CERMICS (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Pfrommer, J., Warrington, J., Schildbach, G., Morari, M.: Dynamic vehicle redistribution and online price incentives in shared mobility systems. Technical report, Cornell University, NY (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Lin, J.H., Chou, T.C.: A geo-aware and VRP-based public bicycle redistribution system. International Journal of Vehicular Technology (2012)Google Scholar