This chapter reviews the intra coding tools of HEVC. The large set of available prediction modes is presented including a description of the functionality and examples. Furthermore, the coded representation of the applied intra prediction modes is detailed. A set of 35 intra prediction modes is available in HEVC, including a DC, a planar, and 33 angular prediction modes. The modes are available for prediction block sizes from 4\(\;\times \;\) 4 to 32\(\;\times \;\) 32 samples. For luma and chroma blocks, the same prediction modes are applied. Some of the smoothing operations applied for luma intra prediction are omitted for chroma blocks. The prediction reference is constructed from the sample row and column adjacent to the predicted block. In this chapter, the intra coding tools of HEVC are presented and compared to the intra coding tools which have been available in H.264 | AVC.
- 1.High efficiency video coding. ITU-T Rec. H.265 (HEVC). http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.265/en (2013). Accessed 14 Apr 2014
- 2.Information technology—High efficiency coding and media delivery in heterogeneous environments—Part 2: High efficiency video coding. ISO/IEC 23008–2:2013 (HEVC). http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=35424 (2013). Accessed 14 Apr 2014
- 3.Lainema, J., et al.: Intra coding of the HEVC standard. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 22(12), 1792–1801 (2012). doi: 10.1109/TCSVT.2012.2221525
- 4.Bossen, F., et al.: Simplified angular intra prediction. 2nd Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCTVC) of ITU-T SG 16 WP 3 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG, Doc. JCTVC-B093, Geneva, CH (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Bossen, F.: Common test conditions and software reference configurations. 11th Meeting: Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) of ITU-T SG 16 WP 3 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG, Doc. JCTVC-K1100, Shanghai, CN (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services. ITU-T Rec. H.264 (AVC). http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.264/en (2014). Accessed 14 Apr 2014
- 8.Information technology—Coding of audio-visual objects—Part 10: Advanced video coding. ISO/IEC 14496–10:2012 (AVC). http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=61490 (2012). Accessed 14 Apr 2014