SPH Modeling for Flow Slides in Landfills
Flow slides at municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills can lead to a leak of toxic MSW and leachate over a large area, and thus serious pollution of the environment in the surrounding region. SPH method is introduced in this chapter to predict the propagation of failed MSW in the environment. The flow slides that occurred in landfills located in Sarajevo, Bandung and Payatas were simulated. The results match the field data well and highlight the capability of the proposed SPH modeling method to simulate such complex phenomena as flow slides in MSW landfills.
KeywordsGeophysics Liquefaction Indonesia Incineration Bacas
- Blight, G. E., & Fourie, A. B. (2005). Catastrophe revisited—disastrous flow failures of mine and municipal solid waste. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 23, 219–248.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. M., Luo, C. Y., & Ke, H. (2003). Geotechnical properties of municipal solid waste in China. In Proceedings of the 12th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Vol. 1–2, pp. 365–368).Google Scholar
- Coumoulos, D. G., Koryalos, T. P., Metaxas, J. L., & Gioka, D. A. (1995). Geotechnical investigation at the main landfill of Athens. In: Proceedings Sardinia 95, 5th International Landfill Symposium, (pp. 885–895). Cagliari, Italy.Google Scholar
- Huang, Y., Zhang, W. J., Xu, Q., & Xie, P. (2012). Run-out analysis of flow-like landslides triggered by the Ms 8.0 2008 Wenchuan earthquake using smoothed particle hydrodynamics. Landslides 9(2), 275–283.Google Scholar
- Johnson, G. R., Petersen, E. H., & Stryk, R. A. (1993). Incorporation of an SPH option into the EPIC code for a wide range of high velocity impact computations. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 14(1–4), 385–394.Google Scholar
- Koelsch, F., Fricke, K., Mahler, C., & Damanhuri, E. (2005). Stability of landfills-the Bandung dumpsite disaster. In Proceedings of the 10th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium. Sardinia, Cagliari, Italy.Google Scholar
- Liu, X. L., Si, W. J., Zhu, C. Y., & et al. (2010). Analysis on stability of liner system located in slope of municipal solid waste landfill. In Proceeding of 7th International Symposium on Safety Science and Technology (ISSST). Hangzhou, China.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Environmental Pretection of the People’s Republic of China (2011). The communique on china’s environmental conditions. Retrieved March 6, 2011, from http://jcs.mep.gov.cn/hjzl/zkgb/2010zkgb/201106/t20110602_211569.htm (in Chinese).
- Nie, Y. F., Niu, D. J., & Bai, Q. Z. (2000). The management of municipal solid waste in China. Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part A-Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering, 35(10), 1973–1980.Google Scholar
- Sanchez-Alciturri, J. M., Palma, J., Sagaseta. C., & et al. (1993). Mechanical properties of wastes in a sanitary landfill. In Proceedings of the Green ‘93, Waste Disposal by Landfill (pp. 357–363). Bolton, UK.Google Scholar