An Initial Study on Pitch Correction Guidance for String Instruments Using Haptic Feedback
Learning to play a string instrument takes years of practice. Novice players even find it difficult to play correct pitches, and chromatic tuners that visualize the errors in the played pitches have long been used as an effective aid. However, chromatic tuners can detract users’ visual attention from more essential visual cues such as musical scores. As an alternative, we have been developing HapTune (Haptic Tuner), which conveys the pitch errors to the user using haptic feedback. In this paper, we present an initial design of HapTune that relies on spatiotemporal information coding using two vibrotactile actuators. We also verified that the vibrotactile stimuli provided by HapTune can be easily recognized by a user experiment.
KeywordsHaptic Feedback Android Application Vibrotactile Stimulus Pitch Error Vibrotactile Feedback
This work was supported in part by NRF through a Mid-Career Researcher Grant 2013R1AA2A2A01016907, a Pioneer program 2011-0027994 and a Global Ph.D. Fellowship 2011-0008614, and by NIPA through an ITRC 2013-H0301-13-3005.
- 1.Choi, S., Kuchenbecker, K.J.: Vibrotactile display: perception, technology and applications. Proc. of IEEE, 1–12 (2012). 0018–9219Google Scholar
- 2.Holland, S., Bouwer, A.J., Dalgelish, M., Hurtig, T.M.: Feeling the beat where it counts: fostering multi-limb rhythm skills with the haptic drum kit. In: Proceedings of the TEI 2010, pp. 21–28. ACM (2010). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1709886.1709892
- 4.Lee, I., Choi, S.: Effects of multi-modal guidance for the acquisition of sight reading skills: a case study with simple drum sequences. In: Proceedings of the WHC 2013, pp. 571–576 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Lu, H., Zhang, B., Wang, Y., Leow, W.K.: idvt: an interactive digital violin tutoring system based on audio-visual fusion. In: Proceedings of the MM 2008, pp. 1005–1006. ACM (2008). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1459359.1459552
- 7.Ng, K.C., Weyde, T., Larkin, O., Neubarth, K., Koerselman, T., Ong, B.: 3D augmented mirror: a multimodal interface for string instrument learning and teaching with gesture support. In: Proceedings of the ICMI 2007, pp. 339–345. ACM (2007). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1322192.1322252
- 8.Rubato Productions: Concert hands. http://concerthands.com/
- 9.Yin, J., Wang, Y., Hsu, D.: Digital violin tutor: an integrated system for beginning violin learners. In: Proceedings of the MM 2005, pp. 976–985. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Yoo, Y., Hwang, I., Choi, S.: Consonance of vibrotactile chords. IEEE Trans. Haptics (2014) . http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TOH.2013.57