The first successful hysteroscopy was reported by Pantaleoni in 1869. In the last two decades, technical developments led to major improvements in diagnostic hysteroscopy and hysteroscopic surgery. Diagnostic hysteroscopy is currently the “gold standard” investigation of diseases involving the uterine cavity (Fraser 1993; Nagele et al. 1996) and hysteroscopic surgery is currently the standard treatment of intrauterine pathology, such as endometrial polyps (Polena et al. 2005; Preutthipan and Herabutya 2005; Savelli et al. 2003), submucous fibroids (Rosati et al. 2008; Timmermans and Veersema 2005), uterine septa (Colacurci et al. 2002; Perino et al. 1987) and intrauterine adhesions (Al-Inany 2001). Appropriate instrumentation, together with distension media like CO2, saline and nonsaline solutions are of vital importance in hysteroscopic procedures.
KeywordsMicrowave Europe Glycine Mannitol Perforation
- Chang PT, Vilos GA, Abu-Rafea B, Hollett-Caines J, Abyaneh ZN, Edris F (2009) Comparison of clinical outcomes with low-voltage (cut) versus high-voltage (coag) waveforms during hysteroscopic endometrial ablation with the rollerball: a pilot study. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:350–353PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fraser IS (1993) Personal techniques and results for outpatient diagnostic hysteroscopy. Gynecol Endosc 2:29–33Google Scholar
- Kowalik CR, Mol BW, Veersema S, Goddijn M (2010). Critical appraisal regarding the effect on reproductive outcome of hysteroscopic metroplasty in patients with recurrent miscarriage. Arch Gynecol Obstet 282(4):465Google Scholar
- Kowalik CR, Goddijn M, Emanuel MH, Bongers MY, Spinder T, de Kruif JH, Mol BW, Heineman MJ (2011). Metroplasty versus expectant management for women with recurrent miscarriage and a septate uterus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD008576. ReviewGoogle Scholar
- Mencaglia L, Lugo E, Consigli S, Barbosa C (2009) Bipolar resectoscope: the future perspective of hysteroscopic surgery. Gynecol Surg 6:15–20. http://link.springer.com/search?query=mencaglia&search-within=Journal&facet-journal-id=10397.
- Roy KK, Baruah J, Sharma JB, Kumar S, Kachawa G, Singh N (2010) Arch Gynecol Obstet 281(2):355–61. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1117-x. Epub 2009 May 20.
- van Dongen H, Emanuel MH, Wolterbeek R, Trimbos JB, Jansen FW (2008) Hysteroscopic morcellator for removal of intrauterine polyps and myomas: a randomized controlled pilot study among residents in training. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15(4):466–471, Epub 18 Apr 2008. PMID: 18588849 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar