We introduce a general model for time-expanded versions of packing problems with a variety of applications. Our notion for time-expanded packings, which we introduce in two natural variations, requires elements to be part of the solution for several consecutive time steps. Despite the fact that the time-expanded counterparts of most combinatorial optimization problems become computationally hard to solve, we present strong approximation algorithms for general dependence systems and matroids, respectively, depending on the considered variant. More precisely, for both notions of time-expanded packings that we introduce, the approximation guarantees we obtain are at most a small constant-factor worse than the best approximation algorithms for the underlying problem in its non-time-expanded version.
KeywordsKnapsack Problem Combinatorial Optimization Problem Approximation Guarantee Consecutive Time Step Machine Maintenance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ausiello, G., Crescenzi, P., Gambosi, G., Kann, V.V., Marchetti-Spaccamela, M., Protasi, M.: Complexity and Approximation. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Bar-Noy, A., Bar-Yehuda, R., Freund, A., Naor, J.S., Schieber, B.: A unified approach to approximating resource allocation and scheduling. J. ACM, 735–744 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Caprara, A.: Packing 2-dimensional bins in harmony. In: Proceedings of the 43rd Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, FOCS 2002, pp. 490–499 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability. A guide to the theory of NP-completeness. W.H. Freeman and Co. (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Jansen, K., Zhang, G.: On rectangle packing: maximizing benefits. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2004, pp. 204–213 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Lawler, E.L.: Fast approximation algorithms for knapsack problems. In: Proceedings of the 18th Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, FOCS 1977, pp. 206–213 (1977)Google Scholar
- 15.Papadimitriou, C.H.: Computational Complexity. Addison-Wesley (1994)Google Scholar
- 16.Pinedo, M.L.: Scheduling: Theory, Algorithms and Systems, 3rd edn. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Schrijver, A.: Combinatorial Optimization, Polyhedra and Efficiency. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Skutella, M.: An introduction to network flows over time. Research Trends in Combinatorial Optimization, pp. 451–482. Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Sloane, N.J.A.: Sequences A000058 and A007018. The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, http://oeis.org