Public vs Private Coin in Bounded-Round Information
We precisely characterize the role of private randomness in the ability of Alice to send a message to Bob while minimizing the amount of information revealed to him. We give an example of a (randomized) message which can be transmitted while revealing only I bits of information using private randomness, but requires Alice to reveal I + logI − O(1) bits of information if only public coins are allowed. This gives the first example of an ω(1) additive separation between these two models. Our example also shows that the one-round compression construction of Harsha et al. [HJMR07] cannot be improved.
Moreover, we show that our example is tight up to an additive O(1) factor: We show that if using private randomness a message can be transmitted while revealing I bits of information, the transmission can be simulated without private coins using I + logI + O(1) bits of information. This improves over an earlier result by Brody et al. [BBK+12].
KeywordsEntropy Univer Weinstein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBCR10]Barak, B., Braverman, M., Chen, X., Rao, A.: How to compress interactive communication. In: Proceedings of the 42nd ACM symposium on Theory of computing, STOC 2010, pp. 67–76. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- [BBK+12]Brody, J., Buhrman, H., Kouckỳ, M., Loff, B., Speelman, F., Vereshchagin, N.: Towards a reverse newman’s theorem in interactive information complexity. In: Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity (ECCC), vol. 19, p. 179 (2012)Google Scholar
- [BR11]Braverman, M., Rao, A.: Information equals amortized communication. In: FOCS, pp. 748–757 (2011)Google Scholar
- [Bra12]Braverman, M.: Interactive information complexity. In: Proceedings of the 44th Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC 2012, pp. 505–524. ACM, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- [BRWY13]Braverman, M., Rao, A., Weinstein, O., Yehudayoff Direct, A.: product via round-preserving compression. ECCC 20(35) (2013)Google Scholar
- [CSWY01]Chakrabarti, A., Shi, Y., Wirth, A., Yao, A.: Informational complexity and the direct sum problem for simultaneous message complexity. In: Werner, B. (ed.) Proceedings of the 42nd Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Los Alamitos, CA, October 14-17, pp. 270–278. IEEE Computer Society Press (2001)Google Scholar
- [HJMR07]Harsha, P., Jain, R., McAllester, D.A., Radhakrishnan, J.: The communication complexity of correlation. In: IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity, pp. 10–23. IEEE Computer Society (2007)Google Scholar
- [Pan12]Pankratov, D.: Direct sum questions in classical communication complexity. PhD thesis, Masters thesis, University of Chicago (2012)Google Scholar