Linear Programming Tests of Regularity Conditions for Production Functions
The main purpose of this paper is to extend the nonparametric tests of regularity conditions on production functions and the related tests for the consistency of a data set with the hypothesis of productive efficiency or with the hypotheses of cost minimizing or profit maximizing behavior suggested by Afriat  and Hanoch/’Rothschild . The tests suggested by these authors can be regarded as extensions of some tests due to Farrell  and Farrell/Fieldhouse . Typically these tests involve the solution of a number of linear programming problems where the objective functions and the constraint functions are known functions of the given data; hence the title of the present paper.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Afriat, S.N.: The Construction of Separable Utility Functions from Expenditure Data. Mimeographed, Purdue University, Lafayette 1967.Google Scholar
- Dantzig, G.B.: Linear Programming and Extensions. Princeton, N.J., 1963.Google Scholar
- Diewert, W.E.: Duality Approaches to Microeconomic Theory. Discussion Paper 78–09, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, March 1978.Google Scholar
- Färe, R., C.A.K. Lovell and K. Zieschang: Measuring the Technical Efficiency of Multiple Output Production Technologies. Quantitative Studies on Production and Prices. Ed. by W. Eichhorn et al. Würzburg-Wien 1982 (this volume).Google Scholar
- Farrell, M.J.: The Measurement of Productive Efficiency. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A 120, 1957, 251–281.Google Scholar
- Gorman, W.M.: Measuring the Quantities of Fixed Factors. In Value, Capital and Growth: Papers in honour of Sir John Hicks. Ed. by J.N. Wolfe. Chicago 1967.Google Scholar
- Jorgenson, D.W., and Z. Grilliches: The Explanation of Productivity Change. Review of Economic Studies 34, 1967, 240–283.Google Scholar
- McFadden, D.: Cost, Revenue and Profit Functions: A Cursory Review. Working Paper No. 86, IBER, University of California, Berkeley 1966.Google Scholar
- McFadden, D.: Cost, Revenue and Profit Functions. Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, Vol. 1. Ed. by M. Fuss and D. McFadden. Amsterdam 1978, 3–109.Google Scholar
- Rockafellar, R.T.: Convex Analysis. Princeton, N.J., 1970.Google Scholar
- Samuelson, P.A.: Foundations of Economic Analysis. Cambridge, MA, 1947.Google Scholar