Specialized Training for Research
In clinical psychology the concept of research includes the development of new knowledge and new methods in the area of mental health programming. As noted in the report16 on the Stanford Conference, “Present knowledge of the nature, etiology and treatment of mental illness and of the factors involved in the establishment and maintenance of mental health is so inadequate that research must be given highest priority,” and “... opinion favored placing higher priority on research and on the development of preventive programs” (p. 128).
KeywordsMental Health Specialized Training Clinical Psychologist Graduate Education Mental Health Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clark, K. E., The summary of progress. In Training for research in psychology, K. S. Bernhardt, ed. Toronto: Univ. of Toronto Press, 1961, 119–123.Google Scholar
- 3.Coons, W. H., Training for clinical research. In Training for research in psychology, K. S. Bernhardt, ed. Toronto: Univ. of Toronto Press, 1961, 99.Google Scholar
- 5.Garmezy, N., Some problems related to training for research in clinical psychology. Paper read at APA, New York, Sept., 1957.Google Scholar
- 6.Holzberg, J., Research training during the internship. In Training for clinical psychology, M. H. P. Finn and F. Brown, eds. New York: International Universities Press, 1959, 120–138.Google Scholar
- 7.Kelly, E. L., Clinical Psychology—1960. Newsletter, Div. of Clin. Psychol., APA, 1961, 14, 1–11.Google Scholar
- 8.Kelly, E. L., and Goldberg, L. R., Correlates of later performance and specialization in psychology. Psychol. Monogr., 1959, 73 (12, Whole No. 482).Google Scholar
- 10.Pratt, S., Of myth and models: An agonizing reappraisal. Paper read at APA, New York, 1961.Google Scholar
- 11.Price, D. J. de S., A calculus of science. International Science & Technology, 1963, 15, 37–43.Google Scholar
- 13.Raimy, V. C. ed., Training in clinical psychology. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1950.Google Scholar
- 15.Segal, J., Personal communication. May, 1963.Google Scholar
- 16.Strother, C. R. ed., Psychology and mental health. Washington, D.C.: APA, 1956.Google Scholar
- 18.U. S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, The research grant program of the National Institute of Mental Health (1961). Bethesda, Md.: 1962.Google Scholar