This contribution is concerned with codes formed by generalising (or iterating) one or more component codes into arrays in (conceptually) two or more dimensions (which need not be orthogonal). Array codes can be used for multiple randan-error detection and correction, for burst-error detection and correction, and for detecting and correcting clusters or patches of errors. They are particularly useful when the data to be protected is presented in a rectangular format, such as punched card, magnetic or paper tape, graphs, maps, or pictures. Many of the array codes which will be mentioned are well known, but seme new codes and decoding techniques11–14 will also be described. The motivation for studying array codes is that they are relatively simple to decode, and also, at least in some cases, have relatively high efficiencies (data rates).
KeywordsParity Check Magnetic Tape Information Digit Product Code Burst Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goldberg, M., Easily decoded error-correcting codes and techniques for their generation, Ph.D. Thesis, University of London, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.N.E. Head, A high-speed data transmission system, CEC Jour., 30 No. 3, 129, 1963.Google Scholar
- 5.D.T. Brown & F.F. Sellers, Error correction for IBM 800-bit-per-inch magnetic tape, IBM Jour Res Dev, 384, July 1970.Google Scholar
- 6.C.D. Mathers, Digital video recording — seme experiments in error protection, BBC Res. kept Rep. 1976/1, Jan. 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.A.B. Cooper, Algebraic codes constructed frcm other algebraic codes: A short survey and sane recent results; Proc. NATO ASI on Canm. Systs and Randan Proc. Theory, Ed. J. Skwirzymski, pub. Sijthoff & Noordhoff, 1978.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Riley, Error control for data multiplex systems; Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Kent at Canterbury, 1975.Google Scholar
- 12.R.J.G. Smith, Easily decoded error-correcting codes, Ph.D. Thesis, 1978.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Meshkati, Two-diniensional-burst-error-correcting codes, Postgrad. Dip. Dissertation, Univ. of Kent at Canterbury (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 15.R. Rowland, Error-detecting capabilities of two-coordinate parity codes; Electronic Eng., 16, Jan. 1968.Google Scholar
- 16.P.G. Farrell, E. Munday & N. Kalligeros, Digital carmunications using soft-decision detection techniques; AGARD Symp. on Digital Corns. in Avionics, Munich, June 1978 (Conf. Preprint No. 239).Google Scholar
- 17.J.L. Massey, Threshold decoding; MIT Press, 1963.Google Scholar