On the design of practical minimum distance convolutional decoders
In this paper we consider the hardware and computational requirements of practical decoders designed to implement our efficient minimum distance algorithm for convolutional codes. Firstly, we derive and evaluate upper bounds for the number of decoding operations required to advance one code segment, and show that significantly fewer operations are required than in the case of sequential decoding. This implies a significant reduction in the severity of the buffer overflow problem. Secondly, we propose modifications to the algorithm in order to further reduce the computational effort required at long back-up distances, at the expense of only a small loss in coding gain, and discuss the trade-off between coding gain and storage requirement as an aid to quantitative decoder design. Finally, the performance and construction of decoders that utilise hard and soft-decision sub-optimum forms of the algorithm are described.
KeywordsMinimum Distance Buffer Size Rate Code Direct Mapping Convolutional Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NG, W.H., and GOODMAN, R.M.F.: ‘An efficient minimum distance decoding algorithm for convolutional error-correcting codes’, Proc. I.E.E., Vol. 125, No. 2, Feb. 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.NG, W.H.: ‘An upper bound on the back-up depth for maximum-likelihood decoding of convolutional codesl’, IEEE Trans., 1976, IT-22, pp 354–357.Google Scholar
- 3.NG, W.H., and GOODMAN, R.M.F.: ‘An analysis of the computational and storage requirements for the efficient minimum distance decoding of convolutional codesl’, Proc. I.E.E. (to be published).Google Scholar
- 4.FORNEY, D. Jr.: ‘High-speed sequential decoder study’, Contract No. DAA B07–68-C-0093, Codes Corp., 1968.Google Scholar
- 5.WINFIELD, A.F.T.: ‘Minimum distance decoding of convolutional error-correcting codes’, Diploma Thesis, University of Hull, 1978.Google Scholar
- 6.NG, W.H., KIM, F.M.H., and TASHIRO, S.: ‘Maximum likelihood decoding of convolutional codes’, I.T.C./U.S.A., 1976.Google Scholar