Discussion of Direct Contact Condensation and Evaporation
This chapter is a summary of the discussion that followed the presentations on direct-contact evaporation and condensation. Some detailed comments on these two topics are presented, which we hope will add to their value to the reader. Next is a discussion of important research and development needs. Finally, some brief conclusions are presented.
KeywordsSurfactant Propane Radionuclide Resis Boiling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bharathan, D., Olson, D. A., Green, H. J., and Johnson, D. H., Measured Performance of Direct Contact Jet Condensers, SERI/TP-252-1437, Solar Energy Research Institute, Golden, Colorado, January, 1982.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, H. R., and Cook, D. S., Direct Contact Condensation on a Non-Circulating Drop Proceedings of the 6th Internat. Heat Transfer Conf., Toronto, Canada, Aug. 1978, Vol. 3, pp. 389-393.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, H. R., and Nadig, R., Condensation on an Immiscible Falling Film in the Presence of a Non-Condensable Gas, Heat Exchangers for Two-Phase Applications, HTD-ASME Vol. 27, July, 1983, pp. 99-106.Google Scholar
- Kim, S., An Investigation of Heat and Mass Transport in Turbulent Liquid Jets, Ph.D. Dissertation, 1983. School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of California, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Kronig, R., and Brink, J. C., “On the Theory of Extraction from Falling Droplets” Appl. Scient. Res, 1949, Vol. A2, pp. 142–155.Google Scholar
- Lee, S. J., “Effect of Noncondensable Gas on Condenser Performance,” MS Thesis, 1971. School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of California, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Majumdar, A. K., Singhal, A. K., and Spalding, D. B., VERA 2D-A Computer Program for Two-Dimensional Analysis of Flow, Heat and Mass Transfer in Evaporative Cooling Towers, Vols. 1 and 2. EPRI Report CS-2923, March, 1983. Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, California.Google Scholar
- Schrage, R. W., A Theoretical Study of Interphase Mass Transfer 1958. Columbia University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Sherwood, T. K., Pigford, R. L., and Wilke, C. R., Mass Transfer 1975. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 182-184.Google Scholar
- Silver, R. S., “Heat Transfer Coefficients in Surface Condensers,” Engineering, London, V. 161, 1946, p. 505.Google Scholar
- Wassel, A. T., and Mills, A. F., Turbulent Falling Film Evaporators and Condensers for Open Cycle Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion, Advancement in Heat Exchangers, 1982, Hemisphere Press.Google Scholar
- Wassel, A. T., Mills, A. F., Bugby, D. C, and Oehlberg, R. N., “Analysis of Radionuclide Retention in Water Pools,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 19, 1985, pp. 764–781.Google Scholar