The Effect of γ-Aps Substrate Modification Upon the Chemical Adhesion of Poly(Amic Acid-Imide) Films
The chemical adhesion of poly(amic acid-imide), PAI, films upon silicon, silicon nitride, silicon dioxide and aluminum substrates was examined as a function of surface modification by γ-aminopropyltriethoxysilane, (γ-APS). In these systems it has been observed that curves describing the kinetics of PAI dissolution provide a useful means of discriminating differences in the solvent resistance of the PAI-substrate interphase, A ranking of the chemical adhesive interaction of PAI films on Y-APS modified substrates has been shown to go as AlxNy<Si<SiO2. This substrate effect has been shown to act in concert with an effect arising from the thickness of applied γ-APS layers. These two effects have been discussed in terms of coherence of the PAI-γ-APS-substrate interphase, short range γ-APS-substrate interactions, and the acid-base character of the substrate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.First technical conference on polyimides: Synthesis, Charactemization and Applications, K. L. Mittal Program Chairman, Society of Plastics Engineering, Ellenville, N.Y., Nov. 10–12, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.M. E. Schrader, I. Lerner, and F. J. D’Oria, Modern Plastic, 45, 195 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.M. E. Schrader and A. Block, J. Polym. Sci., Part C, 34, 781 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. K. Lee and J. D. Craig, Org. Coatings and Plastics Chem. Preprints, vol. 43, 451, (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.N. H. Sung, A. Kaul, S. Ni, C. S. P. Sung, and I. J. Chin, Proc. 36th Ann. Conf. Reinforced Plastics/Composites Inst., SPI, Session 2-B, (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Greenblatt, C. J. Araps, and H. R. Anderson Jr., First Tech. Conf. on Polyimides, SPE, extended abstracts, 58, (Nov. 1982).Google Scholar
- 10.D. J. Belton, P. van Pelt, A. E. Morgan, Silicon Processing, ASTM STP 804, D. C. Gupta ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, 273 (1983).Google Scholar
- 12.P. van Pelt, D. Belton, S. Dilorio, Electrochem. Soc., extended abstract, 81–2, 593 (1981).Google Scholar
- 14.F. Oosawa, “Polyelectrolytes,” Marcel Dekker, New York, (1971), chapter 11.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Ishida, Polymer Preprints, 24, 198 (1983).Google Scholar
- 17.H. Ishida, private communication, March, 1983.Google Scholar
- 18.F. J. Boerio, Polymer Preprints, 24, 204 (1983).Google Scholar