Mucus Production Influenced by Drugs: An Electron Microscopic Study
Scanning electron micrographs (SEM) were made of the trachea and bronchi of rats and cats treated with NAB 365 and PGE1. Both drugs caused an increase in mucus production as is evidenced by the increase in the number of differentiated goblet cells in the trachea and bronchi of both species. PGE1 appeared to exert a greater influence on mucus production than NAB 365 and under this drug adherence of the cilia tips were observed in rats but not in cats. After PGE1 administration a complete mucus film is observed in the trachea and bronchi of cats whereas the mucus film is partially complete in rats’ trachea. The conclusion is drawn that both NAB 365 and PGE1 positively influence the mucociliary apparatus.
Key wordsAirways Mucus production Sympathomimetic drugs Prostaglandins
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andres, K. H. Zur methodischen Perfusionfixierung des Zentralnervensystems von Säugern. Tgg. Niederl. u. Dtsch. Ges. Elektronenmikroscopie, Aachen 1965Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, J. E., Balchum, O. J., Kass, I., Glaser, E. M., Miller, W. F., Haas, A., Shaw, D. B., Kimbel, P., Petty, T. L. Chronic obstructive airway diseases. Current concepts in diagnosis and comprehensive care. J. Amer. Med. Ass. 232, 1243 (1975)Google Scholar
- Gandevia, B., Rogers, N. Effect of bronchodilator aerosol on ventilatory capacity in chronic lung and heart diseases. Brit. Med. J. 1963 II 1097Google Scholar
- Iravani, J.: Flimmerbewegung in den intrapulmonalen Lùftwegen der Ratte. Pflügers Arch. ges. Physiol. 297 221 (1967)Google Scholar
- Krebs, A., Henseleit, K.: Untersuchungen über die Harnstoffbildung im Tierkörper. Z. physiol. Chem. 210, 33 (1932)Google Scholar
- Melville, G. N., Horstmann, G., Iravani, J.: Adrenergic compounds and the tracheobronchial tree. Respiration (in press)Google Scholar
- Oppenheimer, E. A., Rigatto, M., Fletcher, C. M. Airways obstruction before and after isoprenaline, histamine, and prednisolone in patients with chronic obstructive bronchitis. Lancet 1968 I 552Google Scholar