Mitochondrial Cristae during Liver Regeneration
Elongated, dumbbell-shaped mitochondria, containing longitudinal stacks of lamellae, have been described in the liver of rats subjected to certain toxic agents, such as ammonium carbonate or dinitrophenol; their occurrence and particular morphology have been considered to be the expression of degenerative processes, and the intramitochondrial lamellae likened to myelin figures [1, 2]. Dumbbell-shaped or elongated forms of mitochondria, with apparently concentric longitudinal cristae have beenobserved in rats followingadministration of thyroxine in excess . Lehninger has pointed out that the latter extended or dumbbell-shaped configurations may be related to mitochondrial growth and division .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David, H., 1964: Submicroscopic Ortho-and Patho-Morphology of the Liver. Pergamon Press, vol. I and I I.Google Scholar
- Greenawalt, J. W., and Foster: quoted by Lehninger (see reference 4).Google Scholar
- Leh flinger, A. L., 1964: The Mitochondrion, W. A. Benjamin, Inc., publishers, New York, pp. 37 and 241.Google Scholar
- Higgins, G. M., and R. M. Anderson, 1931: Experimental Pathology of Liver; Restoration of Liver of White Rats following partial Surgical Removal, Arch. Path. 12, 186–202.Google Scholar
- Drochmans, P., 1950: Etude Cyto-chimique des Variations des Nucléoprotéines Hépatiques au Cours de la Régénération et de l’Autolyse, Arch. Biol. 61, 475–499.Google Scholar
- Claude, A., 1961: Problems of Fixation for Electron Microscopy. Results of Fixation with Osmium Tetroxide in Acid and Alkaline Media, Xe Congrès de Biol. Cellulaire, Paris, Sect. 4–9, 1960Google Scholar
- Claude, A., 1961: Problems of Fixation for Electron Microscopy. Results of Fixation with Osmium Tetroxide in Acid and Alkaline Media, Pathologie et Biologie, 1961, 9, 933–947; 1962Google Scholar
- Claude, A., 1965: The Morphology and Significance of dumbbell-shaped Mitochondria during Liver Regeneration. J. Cell Biol. 27, 2, 146 A.Google Scholar