Vth International Congress on X-Ray Optics and Microanalysis / V. Internationaler Kongreß für Röntgenoptik und Mikroanalyse / Ve Congrès International sur l’Optique des Rayons X et la Microanalyse pp 170-174 | Cite as
The Magnitude of the “Continuous” Fluorescence Correction in Electronprobe Analysis
In mathematical procedures for relating the X-ray intensity measured with an electronprobe to concentration values the fluorescence due to the continuous spectrum (“ continuous” fluorescence) is generally neglected. Only the fluorescence by characteristic lines is taken into account in addition to absorption, and atomic number effects. This seems to be justified since several authors in particular Kirianenco et al. (1962) have demonstrated that the influence of the continuous radiation is fairly small. This is so even in cases where it might be expected to be considerable, namely where there is a big difference in the average atomic number between specimen and standard. But there are definitely instances where this effect is appreciable and should not be ignored. The present study sets out to evaluate the continuous fluorescence correction for a large number of specimens in order to establish to what extent the omission of this correction affects the accuracy of the microprobe determinations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Heinrich, K. F. J.: X-ray absorption uncertainty. The electron microprobe (T. D. MCKINLEY et al., eds.) 1964. New York: John Wiley, and Sons 1966.Google Scholar
- Kirianenko, A., F. Maurice, D. Calais, and Y. Adda: Analysis of heavy elements (Z= 80) with the Castaing Microprobe: Application to the analysis of binary systems containing uranium. X-ray Optics and X-ray Microanalysis (H. H. Pattes et al., eds.) 1962. New York: Academic Press 1963.Google Scholar
- Peissker, E.: Vergleich verschiedener Korrekturverfahren für die quantitative Elektronenstrahl-Mikroanalyse. Mikrochim. Acta, Suppl. 2, 156–172 (1967).Google Scholar
- Springer, G.: The correction for “ continuous fluorescence” in electronprobe microanalysis. Neues Jahrb. Mineral., Abhandl. 106, 241–256 (1967a).Google Scholar
- Springer, G.: Die Berechnung von Korrekturen für die quantitative Elektronenstrahl-Mikroanalyse. Fortschr. Miner. 45, 103–124 (1967b).Google Scholar
- Thomas, P. M.: A method for correcting for atomic number effects in electronprobe microanalyses. U. K. Atomic Energy Research Establishment 1964, Report No. 4593.Google Scholar