Cancer of the Urinary and Reproductive Tracts
An association of ovarian cancer with ABO blood groups has been described in large population samples.1 This was confirmed in a recent study of 1261 women with ovarian cancer. Comparison of blood group A patients with a large normal cohort confirmed earlier findings which stated that the cancer risk in the former group was 1.2 with 1 considered as the risk factor in normals.2 A possible explanation is that many tumors which may express Forssman A-like antigen could be eliminated by naturally occurring anti-A in non-A persons; this form of immune surveillance would be absent in A individuals.
KeywordsSugar Carbohydrate Adenocarcinoma Propionate Testosterone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mourant A, Kopec A, Domaniewska-Sobczak K. Blood Groups and Diseases. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1978: 13–15.Google Scholar
- 8.Thompson S, Cantwell BMJ, Matta KL et al. Parallel changes in the blood levels of abnormally-fucosylated haptoglobin and alpha 1,3 fucosyltransferase in relationship to tumour burden: more evidence for a disturbance of fucose metabolism in cancer. Cancer Letters 1992; 65: 115–121.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Chandreskaran EV, Jain RK, Matta KL. Ovarian cancer a1,3-L-fucosyltransferase. J Biol Chem 1992; 267: 23806–23814.Google Scholar
- 13.Inoue M, Ogawa H, Tanizawa O et al. Immunodetection of sialyl-Tn antigen in normal, hyperplastic and cancerous tissues of the uterine endometrium. Virchows Archiv 1991; 48: 157–162.Google Scholar
- 23.Nishimura R, Endo Y, Tanabe K et al. The biochemical properties of urinary human chorionic gonadotropin from the patients with trophoblastic diseases. J Endocrin Invest 1981; 4: 349–358.Google Scholar
- 24.Holland JF, Frei E, Bast RC Jr et al. In: Lea and Febiger, Cancer Medicine 3rd Ed Vol 1. Philadelphia: 1993; 132–134.Google Scholar
- 25.Holland JF, Frei E, Bast RC Jr et al. In: Lea and Febiger. Cancer Medicine 3rd Ed Vol 1. Philadelphia: 1993; 324.Google Scholar
- 31.orntoft TF. Carbohydrate changes in bladder carcinoma. APMIS 1992; 100 Suppl 27: 181–187.Google Scholar
- 34.Fukushi Y, Orikasa S, Shepard T et al. Changes of Le“ and dimeric Le’ haptens and their sialylated antigens during development of human kidney and kidney tumors. J Urol 1986; 126: 1048–1056.Google Scholar
- 37.Coon JS, Weinstein RS. Blood group antigens in tumor cell membranes. Bio-membranes 1983; 11: 173–205.Google Scholar