Coupled Drying and Devolatilization of Low Rank Coals in Fluidized Beds: An Experimental and Theoretical Study
A model is proposed for the coupled drying and devolatilization of large particles of low rank coals in fluidized beds. The model is based on the individual models developed and tested experimentally for drying and for devolatilization (using predried coal) and reported earlier. The temperature profile in the dry shell generated by the movement of a receding drying front (constituting a moving boundary problem) is assumed to characterize the rate of devolatilization during the first stage of the coupled phenomena when drying and devolatilization occur simultaneously. The temperature profile at the end of drying is used as an initial condition for solving analytically the transient heat conduction equation (with a convective boundary condition) for characterizing the remaining possible devolatilization after the drying is completed.
An empirical correlation is proposed for the estimation of the total time required for the coupled drying and devolatilization process.
The model predictions are compared with experimental data collected for Mississippi lignite in a three inch fluidized bed.
KeywordsCombustion Cage Shrinkage Immobilization Biot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yaverbaum, L.H., Fluidized Bed Combustion of Coal and Waste Materials, Noyes Data Corpotion, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Selle, S.J., Honea, F.I. and Sondreal, E.A. in ‘New Fuels and Advances in Combustion Technology’, Institute of Gas Technology, Chicago, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.Agarwal, P.K., Genetti, W.E., Lee, Y.Y. and S.N. Prasad to appear in Fuel.Google Scholar
- 4.Agarwal, P.K., Genetti, W.E. and Y.Y. Lee to appear in Fuel.Google Scholar
- 5.Agarwal, P.K., Genetti, W.E. and Y.Y. Lee to appear in Fuel.Google Scholar
- 7.Anthony, D.B., Howard, J.B., Hottel, H.C. and Meissner, H.P., Fifteenth Symp. (Int.) Combustion, Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, 103 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.Jakob, M., Heat Transfer, John Wiley and Sons, New York (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.Kutateladze, S.S., Fundamentals of Heat Transfer, Academic Press, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- 11.Agarwal, P.K., Genetti, W.E. and Y.Y. Lee, to appear in Chemical Engineering Communications.Google Scholar
- 12.Agarwal, P.K., Fluidized Bed Combustion of Wet Low Rank Coals, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Mississippi, University, Miss (1984).Google Scholar
- 13.Park, D., Levenspiel, 0. and Fitzgerald, T.J., AIChE Symp. Series, Vol. 77, 116 (1981).Google Scholar
- 14.Stanmore, B., Personal Communication (1983).Google Scholar