Applications of Integrated Optics and Current Trends
In the preceding chapters, the theory and technology of optical integrated circuits have been described. Although this a relatively new field of endeavor, some applications of OIC’s to the solution of current engineering problems have already been implemented. Of course, optical fiber waveguides, the companion element of OIC’s in an integrated-optic system, are already well recognized as being very useful consumer products. In this chapter, some of the more recent applications of both fibers and OIC’s are reviewed, and current trends are evaluated. In this review of representative integrated optic applications, specific systems and companies are named in order to illustrate the international character of the field and the types of organizations that are involved in it. Recommendation of any particular company or its products is not intended or implied. Also, the performance data that are quoted have generally been obtained from news articles and other secondary sources. Hence, they should be interpreted as being illustrative rather than definite.
KeywordsSpectrum Analyzer Fiber Link Computer Data System Separate Confinement Heterostructure Differential Quantum Efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 16.2D. Mergerian, E. C. Malarkey: Microwave J. 23, 37 (1980)Google Scholar
- 16.3A F. Milton: “Charge Transfer Devices for Infrared Imaging” in Optical and Infrared Detectors, 2nd ed., ed. R. J. Keyes, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol. 19 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1980)Google Scholar
- 16.4D. F. Barbe (ed. ): Charge-Coupled Devices, Topics Appl. Phys., Vol. 38 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1980)Google Scholar
- 16.5M. E. Pedinoff, T. R. Ranganath, T. R. Joseph, J. Y. Lee: Proceedings of the NASA Conference on Optical Information Processing for Aerospace Applications (18–19, August 1981) p. 173Google Scholar
- 16.8K. Aiki, M. Nakamura, J. Umeda: IEEE J. QE-13, 597 (1977)Google Scholar
- 16.15F. Koyama, S. Arai, T. Tanbun-Ek, K. Kushino, Y. Suematsu: Digest of Technical Papers, IEEE/OSA Topical Meeting on Integrated and Guided-Wave Optics, Asilomar, CA (6–8, January 1982) p. WB 5Google Scholar
- 16.16See, for example, A. Pastelis, G. Stubbs, S. Grant, K. Custance: Telecommunications 15, 16 (1981)Google Scholar
- 16.17A. MacArthur: Laser Focus 18, 143 (1982)Google Scholar
- 16.19J. Kessler Photonics Spectra 16, 49 (1982)Google Scholar
- 16.20For a review of this field see, for example, J. R. Forrest, A. A. Salles: Microwave Systems News 11, 112 (1981)Google Scholar