Diabetes and Ampullary Carcinoma: A Possible Relationship
MOST CARCINOMAS ARE NOT KNOWN to have a relationship to diabetes mellitus with the exception of primary pancreatic carcinomas, which do appear to have a predilection for maturity onset diabetics, particularly in patients over the age of 40.1–5 When we were reviewing mucosal neoplasms of the small bowel, it appeared as if there might be a possible relationship between diabetes and the presence of ampullary carcinoma.6 Of 51 surgically treated patients with primary small intestinal adenomas, more than one-half contained an invasive carcinoma arising in the adenoma. Four of the 51 patients were diabetic, and two others had first-degree diabetic relatives. These six individuals all had carcinomas arising in ampullary adenomas.
KeywordsSmall Bowel Acanthosis Nigricans Ampullary Carcinoma Small Bowel Tumor DHEW Publication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Williams R.H. (ed): Textbook of Endocrinology, ed 5. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1974.Google Scholar
- 7.Edmondson H.A.: Tumors of the gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts. Atlas of Tumor Pathology, Section VII, Fascicle 26. Washington, D.C., Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.Malins J.: Clinical Diabetes Mellitus. London, Eyre and Spattiswoode, 1968.Google Scholar
- 11.Hill A.B.: A Short Textbook of Medical Statistics. London, Hodder and Stoughton, 1974.Google Scholar
- 12.Rimoin D.L.: Inheritance in diabetes mellitus, in Bondy P.K., Felig P. (eds): Symposium on diabetes mellitus. Med Clin N Am 55:807–819, 1971.Google Scholar
- 14.Diabetes Mellitus Coordinating Committee, First Annual Report to the Director, National Institute of Health, Education and Welfare, (DHEW Publication No. (NIH) 76–1017) 1976.Google Scholar
- 15.Feinlieb M., Fabsitz R., Sharrett A.R. (compilers): Mortality from Cardiovascular and Noncardiovascular Diseases for United States Cities, 1979. United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare, (DHEW Publication No. (NIH) 79–1453.Google Scholar
- 16.United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, Vital Statistics of the United States, 1951, 1960, 1970, 1974, 1976.Google Scholar
- 17.Spitz N.: Nerve disease in diabetes mellitus, in Podolsky S. (ed): Symposium on diabetes mellitus. Med Clin N Am 62:787–798, 1978.Google Scholar
- 18.Goyal R.K., Spiro H.M.: Gastrointestinal manifestations of diabetes mellitus, in Bondy P.K., Felig P. (eds): Symposium on diabetes mellitus. Med Clin N Am 55:1031–1044, 1971.Google Scholar