Vth International Congress on X-Ray Optics and Microanalysis / V. Internationaler Kongreß für Röntgenoptik und Mikroanalyse / Ve Congrès International sur l’Optique des Rayons X et la Microanalyse pp 432-437 | Cite as
Standards and Correction Procedures in Electron-Probe Analysis of Rock-Forming Minerals
A large proportion of the substances which fall under the heading of rock-forming minerals consist of silicates and oxides incorporating elements from Z =11 (Na) to Z = 28 (Ni) in addition to oxygen and hydrogen. The range of possible compositions is very large since such minerals often contain seven or eight component elements and the problem of selecting suitable standards for empirical calibration is considerable. Many workers in the field have advocated the use of analysed material covering a restricted range of composition near to that of the unknown (e.g. Smith, 1965, 1966a, b). More recently Bence and Albee (1968) have described the use of a few simple primary standards and have derived empirically the correction factors by comparison with analysed minerals under a given set of measuring conditions. These authors state that “The uncertainties which shroud the calculation of individual matrix effects are so great that an empirical determination of correction parameters is clearly necessary ”.
KeywordsTitanium Quartz Magnesium Hydration Silicate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deer, W. A., R. A. Howie, and J. Ziissman: Rock forming minerals, vol. 4. Longmans 1963.Google Scholar
- Duxcumb, P., and S. J. B. REED: Tube Investments Research Laboratories Technical Report No. 221 (1967).Google Scholar
- Fairbairn, H. W., and J. F. Schairer: Am. Mineralogist 37, 744 (1952).Google Scholar
- Ferdriksson, K., and A. M. Reid, in: Researches in geochemistry (ed. P. H. ABELSON ), p. 143. Wiley 1967.Google Scholar
- Heinrich, K. F. J.: In abstracts of the “ Second National Conference on Electron Microprobe Analysis”. Boston 1967.Google Scholar
- Long, J. V. P., in: Physical methods in determinative mineralogy (ed. J. ZussMAN ), p. 215. Academic Press 1967.Google Scholar
- Long, J. V. P., and T. R. Sweatman: J. Sci. Instr. (in press) (1969).Google Scholar
- Philibert, J.: X-ray optics and X-ray microanalysis (ed. PATTEE, COSSLETT, and ENGSTRÖM), p. 379.Google Scholar
- Academic Press 1963.Google Scholar
- Sweatman, T. R., and J. V. P. LONG: J. Petrol. (in press) (1969).Google Scholar