Effect of CAPD on Renal Osteodystrophy in Unmodified Patients Moving from Hemodialysis to CAPD
The effect of one year of CAPD on bone histology was studied in seven hemodialysis patients changing to CAPD. The course of these patients was not modified by oral calcium supplements, vitamin D or parathyroid ablation. An existing pattern of dialysis osteomalacia in three patients changed in two to osteitis fibrosa. This change was associated with decreased stainable aluminum in the bone biopsies obtained during CAPD. The specific role played by CAPD in effecting this change is uncertain. Progression and development of osteitis fibrosa in these patients was not prevented by a 7.0 mg/dl calcium containing dialysis solution. The observed persistence of abnormally high parathyroid hormone levels and increasing alkaline phosphatase concentrations supports the concept that a negative calcium balance may be a critical factor in progression of osteitis fibrosa among CAPD patients.
KeywordsPhosphorus Graphite Galle Peri Tetracycline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cournot-Witmer G, Zingraff J, Plachot JJ, Escaig F, Lefevre R, Boumati P, Bourdeau A, Garabédian M, Galle P, Bourdon R, Drüeke T, and Balson S: Aluminum localization in bone from hemodialysis patients: Relationship to matrix mineralization Kidney Int 20: 375, 1981Google Scholar
- 13.Teitelbaum SL, Fallon MD, Gearing BK, Dougan CS, and Delmez JA: The effects of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) on bone histomorphology. Kidney Int (Abstract) 21: 180, 1982Google Scholar
- 15.Digenis G, Khanna R, Pierratos A, Meema HE, Rabinovich S, Pettit J, and Oreopoulos DG: Renal osteodystrophy in patients maintained on CAPD for more than three years. Peritoneal Dial Bull 3: 81, 1983Google Scholar
- 20.Sokal RR, and Rahlf FJ: Biometry, 2nd Ed. New York: WH Freeman, 1981, p 448Google Scholar
- 21.deFremont JF, Morinière P, Kechzmareck P, Fievet P, Bataille P, and Fournier A: Hypercalcemia in continuous peritoneal dialysis patients (Abstract). Int Congr Nephrol 8: 399, 1981Google Scholar
- 23.Alonso JLM, Martinez ME, Selgas R, Casares I, and Gomez P: Peritoneal clearance of parathyroid hormone (Abstract). Int Congr Nephrol 8: 420, 1981Google Scholar
- 25.Delmez JA, Martin KJ, Harter HR, Gearing B, and Slatopolsky E: Effects of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis on the removal of PTH in renal failure (Abstract). Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 9: 44, 1980Google Scholar
- 27.Ihle BU, Buchanan MCR, Stevens B, Becker GJ, and Kincaid-Smith P: The efficacy of various treatment modalities on aluminum associated bone disease. Proc Eur Dial Transplant Assoc 19: 195, 1982Google Scholar
- 29.Hercz G, Milliner DS, Shinaberger JH, Nissenson AR, Cutler RE, Goodman WG, Gentile DE, Kraus AP, and Coburn JW: Aluminum metabolism and record during CAPD (Abstract). Am Soc Nephrol 16: 120A, 1983Google Scholar
- 30.Sorkin MI, Nolph KD, Anderson HO, Morris JS, Kennedy J, Prowant B, and Moore H: Aluminum mass transfer during continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Peritoneal Dial Bull 1: 91, 1981Google Scholar