Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis is possible in the very young infant with renal insufficiency. Whether it will prevent growth retardation is speculative. Our eight patients did not grow normally, but they did grow better than the conservatively managed patients. Whether mental retardation that is associated with renal insufficiency, seen in the first year of life, will be prevented is uncertain but the neurological data presented suggest its prevention.
KeywordsPeritoneal Dialysis Young Infant Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis Intermittent Peritoneal Dialysis Dialysate Volume
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Brouhand BM, Berger M, and Cunningham RJ: Home peritoneal dialysis in children. Trans Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 25: 90, 1979Google Scholar
- 9.Feldman W, Balisk T, and Drummond K: Intermittent peritoneal dialysis in the management of chronic renal failure in children. Am J Dis Child 16: 30, 1968Google Scholar
- 11.Donckerwolcke RA, Chantier C, Broyer M, Brunner FP, Brynger H, Jacobs C, Kramer P, Selwood NH, and Wing AJ: Combined report on regular dialysis and transplantation of children in Europe. Proc Eur Dial Transplant Assoc 17: 89, 1979Google Scholar
- 12.Popovich RP, Moncrief JW, Decherd JF, Bomar JB, and Pyle WK: The definition of a novel portable, wearable equilibrium peritoneal dialysis technique. Abst Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 5: 64, 1976Google Scholar
- 14.Alexander SR, Tseng CH, Maksym KA, and Tal-walker YB: Early clinical experience with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) in infants and children. Clin Res 28: 131A, 1980Google Scholar
- 16.Balfe JW, Vigneux A, Willumsen J, and Hardy BE: The use of CAPD in the treatment of children with end stage renal disease. Peritoneal Dial Bull 1: 35, 1981Google Scholar
- 19.Kohaut EC: Effect of dialysate volume on ultrafiltration in young children. Eur J Pediatr 140: 179A, 1983Google Scholar
- 20.Kohaut EC, Balfe JW, Potter D, Alexander SR, and Lum G: Hypermagnesemia and mild hypocarbia in pediatric patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Peritoneal Dial Bull 3: 42, 1983Google Scholar
- 22.West CD, and Smith WC: An attempt to elucidate the cause of growth retardation in renal disease. Am J Dis Child 91: 460, 1956Google Scholar
- 24.Kohaut EC: Growth in children treated with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Int 7 Pediatr Nephrol 4: 93, 1983Google Scholar
- 26.Conley SB, Brewer ED, Grady S, and Payne W: Normal growth in very small children on peritoneal dialysis. Abst National Kidney Foundation, 1982, p 8Google Scholar
- 27.Alexander SR: Personal communication, 1984Google Scholar