The Implementation of Boundary Element Codes in Geotechnical Engineering
The application of simple boundary element techniques in the field of geotechnical engineering is discussed. Particular emphasis is placed upon the coupling of standard finite elements to soil boundary elements in order to solve soil-structure interaction problems. Two computer programs which incorporate these techniques in the areas of foundation and pile/wall analysis and design are briefly described. In addition the use of these programs is demonstrated with respect to several case histories in which the agreement between predicted and observed behaviour is most encouraging.
KeywordsClay Beach Mudstone Suffix Chalk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burland, J.B. and Hancock, R.J.R. (1977) Underground car park at the House of Commons, London: Geotechnical aspects. The Structural Engineer, 55, 87.Google Scholar
- Burland, J.B. and Davidson, W. (1976) A case study of cracking of columns supporting a silo due to differential foundation movement. Performance of Building Structures, Pentech Press, London.Google Scholar
- Dunn, C.S. (1975) Settlement of a large raft foundation on sand. Settlement of Structures, Pentech Press, London.Google Scholar
- Gerrard, C.M., and Harrison, W.J. (1970) Circular loads applied to a cross-anisotropic half space. CSIRO Aust. Div. Appl. Geomechanics Tech. Pap. No. 8.Google Scholar
- Harvey, R.C. and Burley, E. (1977) A proposal for the development of a Sea-Bed anchor. Journal of the Society of Underwater Technology, 2, 9–11.Google Scholar
- Hooper, J.A. and Wood, L.A. (1977) Comparative behaviour of raft and piled foundations. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Mindlin, R.A. (1936) Force at a point in the interior of a semi-infinite solid. Journal of Physics, 77.Google Scholar
- Nath, B., Harvey, R.C., and Burley, E. (1978) The development of an embedded anchor to provide multi-directional restraint. Proc. Conf. on Offshore Structures, Oceanology Int. 78, Inst. Civ. Engrs., London.Google Scholar
- Poulos, H.G. (1973) Load deflection prediction for laterally loaded piles. Aust. Geomechanics Journal, G3.Google Scholar
- Wood, L.A., and Larnach, W.J. (1975) The effects of soil-structure interaction on raft foundations. Settlement of Structures, Pentech Press, London.Google Scholar
- Wood, L.A. (1978b) A simple boundary element approach to the prediction of the settlement of structures. Recent Advances in Boundary Element Methods, ed. C.A. Brebbia, Pentech Press, London.Google Scholar
- Wood, L.A. (1979b) A rational approach to the analysis of building structures taking full account of foundation movements. Engineering Software, ed. R.A. Adey, Pentech Press, London.Google Scholar