Ion Channels in Wheat Protoplasts: Patch-Clamp Application to the Study of Transport
Total wheat production in the developing countries more than doubled in the 20 years between 1961 and 1981, due largely to rapid expansion of the area devoted to wheat farming. This expansion means encountering a wide variety of conditions: soil types, temperature ranges, illumination regimes, availability of water, extent of humidity, and various pests and diseases. The growing spread of wheat into different climate zones creates a growing need for adapting this crop to its new environments (reviewed by Ruder 1985). Understandingly, intensive basic research of the physiology of the plant is required.
KeywordsPotassium Channel Guard Cell Patch Pipette Single Channel Current Guard Cell Protoplast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong CM (1975) K pores of nerve and muscle membranes. In: Eisenman G (ed) Membranes: a series of advances, vol 3. Dekker, New York, pp 325–358Google Scholar
- Assmann SM, Moran N, Schwartz A (1988) Whole-cell K` currents in guard cell protoplasts of Vicia faba and Commelina communis. Plant Physiol 86 (suppl): 92Google Scholar
- Blatz A, Magleby L (1984) Ion conductance and selectivity of single calcium-activated potassium channels in cultured rat muscle. J Physiol 84: 1–23Google Scholar
- Coyaud L, Kurkdjian A, Kado R, Hedrich R (1987) Ion channels and ATP-driven pumps involved in ion transport across the tonoplast of sugarbeat vacuoles. Biochim Biophys Acta 902: (263–268)Google Scholar
- Cretin H, Martin B, D’Auzac J (1982) Characterization of a magnesium-dependent proton translocating ATPase on Hevea latex tonoplast. In: Marme D, Marre E, Hertel R (eds) Plasmalemma and tonoplast: their functions in the plant cell. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 201–208Google Scholar
- Etherton B, Rubinstein B (1978) Evidence for amino acid-H* co-transport in oat coleoptiles. Plant Physiol 67: 59–63Google Scholar
- Hille B (1984) Ionic channels of excitable membranes. Sinauer, Sunderland, MassGoogle Scholar
- Moran N, Iwasa K, Ehrenstein G, Mischke C, Bare C, Satter RL (1986b) Potassium channels in protoplasts from Samanea saman. Biophys J 45: 165aGoogle Scholar
- Moran N, Iwasa K, Ehrenstein G, Mischke C, Bare C, Satter RL (1987) Effects of external K’ on K’ channels in Samanea protoplasts. Plant Physiol 83: 112aGoogle Scholar
- Ruder A (1985) Wheat in the tropics. A contribution from the CW and TK Lubin Center for wheat science. Weizmann Inst Sci, IsrGoogle Scholar
- Sakmann B, Neher E (eds) (1983) Single channel recording. Plenum, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Satter RL, Lee Y, Morse MJ, Crain RC, Cote GG, Moran N (1988) Light-and Clock-controlled leaflet movements in Samanea saman: a physiological, biophysical and biochemical analysis. Bot Acta 101: 205–213Google Scholar