Wheat Anther Culture Using Liquid Media
The production of doubled haploid lines from anther culture is limited by the relatively low callus/embryoid induction frequency, genotype-dependent response, and poor plant regeneration, a large number of which are albino plants. As a result, this technique has yet to gain wide acceptance by wheat breeders, although it is being used by a few. This chapter will review the progress and advantages offered by liquid culture media in wheat.
KeywordsWinter Wheat Induction Medium Anther Culture Doubled Haploid Line Concentration Of90
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Araki C (1956) Structure of agarose constituent of agar-agar. Bull Chem Soc Jpn 29:543–544 Armstrong TA, Metz SG, Mascia PN (1987) Two regeneration systems for the production of haploid plants from wheat anther culture. Plant Sci 51: 231–237Google Scholar
- Heberle-Bors E, Odenbach W (1985) In vitro pollen embryogenesis and cytoplasmic male sterility in Triticum aestivum L. Z Pflanzenzucht 95: 14–22Google Scholar
- Kao KN (1981) Plant formation from barley anther cultures with Ficoll media. Z Pflanzenphysiol 103: 437–443Google Scholar
- Kelly SL (1986) The effect of sucrose, dextran and glucose on anther culture of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). M Sci Thesis, Univ Guelph, 103 ppGoogle Scholar
- Kohlenbach HW, Wernicke W (1978) Investigations on the inhibitory effect of agar and the function of active carbon in anther culture. Z Pflanzenphysiol 86: 463–472Google Scholar
- Lazar MD, Schaeffer GW, Baenziger PS (1985) The physical environment in relation to high frequency callus and plantlet development in anther cultures of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) cv. Chris. J Plant Physiol 121: 103–109Google Scholar
- Lettre JJ (1986) Effects of anther orientation and medium composition on in vitro culture of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) anthers. M Sci Thesis, Univ Guelph, 108 ppGoogle Scholar
- Lyne RL, Bennett RI, Hunter CP (1984) Embryoid and plant production from cultured barley anthers. In: Withers LA, Alderson PG (eds) Plant tissue culture and its agricultural applications. Butterworth, London Guildford, pp 405–411Google Scholar
- Marsolais AA (1985) Callus induction from barley microspores. Ph D Thesis, Univ Guelph, 124 pp Marsolais AA, Kasha KJ (1985) Callus induction from barley microspores 1. The role of sucrose and auxin in a barley anther culture medium. Can J Bot 63: 2209–2212Google Scholar
- Marsolais AA, Wheatley WA, Kasha KJ (1986) Progress in wheat and barley haploid induction using anther culture. In: Proc Plant Breed Symp, Lincoln, NZ, DSIR, pp 340–343Google Scholar