Quantum Theory of Nonlinear-Optic Devices
This chapter describes the quantum optic characteristics of nonlinear optic (NLO) devices. The NLO interactions are affected by the quantum nature of optical waves. According to the quantum theory, electromagnetic quantities representing an optical wave involve fluctuations related to the uncertainty principle. The characteristics of the quantum fluctuations are described in terms of quantum states. Practically, the fluctuations give rise to quantum noise intrinsic to each optical wave and impose limitations on the ultimate performances of optical devices and systems. In NLO devices, optical waves may undergo transition of the quantum state, and accordingly the output wave often exhibits unique fluctuation characteristics. It is therefore important to analyze and discuss such quantum optic properties for deep understanding of NLO interactions and for clarifying the ultimate performances of NLO devices such as SHG devices for optical memories and wavelength conversion devices for photonic networks.
KeywordsCovariance Autocorrelation Refraction Mandel iLlY
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.2R.Loudon: The Quantum Theory of Light ( Oxford University Press, Oxford 1983 )Google Scholar
- 5.3P.Meystre, M.Sargent III: Elements of Quantum Optics ( Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1991 )Google Scholar
- 5.6T.Suhara: Quantum Electronics (Ohm Pub. Co., Tokyo 1995 ) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.9L.A.Wu, M.Xiao, H.J.Kimble: J. Opt. Soc. Amer. B, 4, pp. 1465–1475 (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.13P.Kürz, R.Paschotta, K.Fiedler, J.Mlynek: Europhys. Lett., 24, pp.449–454 (1993) 5.14 R.Paschotta, M.Collett, P.Kürz, K.Fiedler H.A.Bachor, J.Mlynek: Phys. Rev. Lett., 72, pp. 3807–3810 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Quantum Theory of Nonlinear-Optic DevicesGoogle Scholar
- 5.17P.D.Drummond, K.J.McNeil, D.F.Walls: Optica Acta, 27, pp.321–335 (1980); 28, pp. 211–225 (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.22W.H.Louisell: Quantum Statistical Properties of Radiation ( Wiley, New York 1973 )Google Scholar
- 5.23A.Yariv: Introduction to Optical Electronics (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, USA 1971 )Google Scholar
- 5.T.Suhara, H.Nishihara: Trans. IEICE, J82-C-I pp.326–334 (1999) (in Japanese), Electron. Commun. Japan, Pt.2, 82 12, pp.48–56 (1999) (English translation)Google Scholar
- 5.55A.Yariv: Quantum Electronics, p. 374 ( John Wiley and Sons, New York 1967 )Google Scholar