The Genome and Beyond
The Schizosaccharomyces pornbe genome sequence and a preliminary analysis have been reported (Wood et al. 2002). This landmark will further establish and expand the role of fission yeast as a major experimental model organism. The sequencing phase is almost complete, with only four gaps remaining in the repetitive centromeric and telomeric regions. As noted for similar regions in other organisms, these are proving difficult to complete. Work is continuing to finish the sequence to the telomeric repeats, thus precluding genes being missed. The published genome sequence also excludes the rDNA repeats, known to be present as two tandem arrays on chromosome III (Schaak et al. 1982). Below and in Table 2.1, some of the most notable features of the fission yeast genome sequence are summarized.
KeywordsFission Yeast Schizosaccharomyces Pombe Multicellular Eukaryote Arabidopsis Genome Initiative Functional Genomic Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ball CA, Jin H, Sherlock G et al. (2001) Saccharomyces genome database provides tools to survey gene expression and functional analysis data. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 80–81Google Scholar
- Brazma A, Hingamp P, Quackenbush J et al. (2001) Minimum information about a microarray experiment ( MIAME) - toward standards for microarray data. Nat Genet 29: 365–371Google Scholar
- Carroll SB, Grenier JK, Weatherbee SD (2001) From DNA to diversity. Blackwell, Malden, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- Crom SL, Devaux F, Jacq C, Marc P (2002) yMGV: helping biologists with yeast microarray data mining. Nucleic Acids Res 30: 76–79Google Scholar
- Decottignies A, Sanchez-Perez I, Nurse P (2003) Schizosaccharomyces pombe essential genes: a pilot study. Genome Res 13: 399–406Google Scholar
- Kumar A, Snyder M (2001) Emerging technologies in yeast genomics. Nat Rev Genet 2: 30 2312Google Scholar
- Marc P, Devaux F, Jacq C (2001) yMGV: a database for visualization and data mining of published genome-wide yeast expression data. Nucleic Acids Res 29: e63Google Scholar
- Ribes V, Dehoux P, Tollervey D (1988) 7SL RNA from S. pombe is encoded by a single copy essential gene. EMBO J 7: 231–237Google Scholar
- The Arabidopsis Genome Initiative (2000) Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature 408:796–815Google Scholar
- The C. elegans Sequencing Consortium (1998) Genome sequence of the nematode C. elegans: a platform for investigating biology. Science 282:2012–2018Google Scholar
- Toth A, Rabitsch KP, Galova M et al. (2000) Functional genomics identifies monopolin: a kinetochore protein required for segregation of homologs during meiosis I. Cell 103: 11551168Google Scholar