Stress Echocardiography Applications Beyond Coronary Artery Disease: Dilated Cardiomyopathy
In patients with dilated cardiomyopathy, the indications for stress echocardiography are uncertain and its application has not yet become routine, despite the sound rationale supporting the assessment of contractile reserve in a disease primarily characterized by systolic dysfunction. In addition, the use of a noninvasive, nonionizing means for serial assessment is particularly attractive in this chronic condition, which may require repeated evaluations during follow-up.
KeywordsDilate Cardiomyopathy Stress Echocardiography Ischemic Cardiomyopathy Dobutamine Stress Intermittent Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Colucci WS, Leatherman GF, Ludmer PL et al. (1987) Beta-adrenergic inotropic responsiveness of patients with heart failure: studies with intracoronary dobutamine infusion. Circulation Research 61 [Suppl 19]: 182–186Google Scholar
- 7.Pozzoli M, Capomolla S, Cioffi G et al. (1996) Prognostic significance of low-dose dobutamine test in patients with advanced congestive heart failure due to dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 27 [Suppl Al: 329AGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kitaoka H, Takata J, Yabe T, Furuno T, Matsumura Y, Chikamori T, Doi Y (1997) Dobutamine stress echocardiography can predict the improvement of left ventricular systolic function in dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 29 [Suppl A]: 22AGoogle Scholar
- 1o.Mariotti E, Agostini A, Angelucci E, Lucarelli G, Sgarbi E, Picano E (1996) Reduced left ventricular contractile reserve identified by low dose dobutamine echocardiography as an early marker of cardiac involvement in asymptomatic patients with thalassemia major. Echocardiography 13: 463–472PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Sharp SM, Sawada SG, Segar DS et al. (1994) Dobutamine stress echocardiography: detection of coronary artery disease in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 24: 934–939Google Scholar
- 16.Bach DS, Muller DWM, Gros BJ, Armstrong F (1994) False positive dobutamine stress echocardiograms: characterization of clinical, echocardiographic and angiographic findings. J Am Coll Cardio 1128: 804–813Google Scholar
- 17.Cioffi G, Pozzoli M, Franchini M, Forni G, Traversi E, Cobelli F, Tavazzi L (1997) Noninvasive assessment of contractile reserve by dobutamine Doppler echocardiography in patients with chronic congestive heart failure: comparison with invasive hemodynamic measurements. J Am Coll Cardiol 29 (2) [Suppl A]: 116AGoogle Scholar