Lattice Dynamics: Phonons
The motion of the heavy constituents of the solid and the solid state properties which are essentially determined by this motion, are the subject of this chapter. Lattice dynamics is a standard topic in textbooks on Solid State Physics, but there is also a variety of monographs on this subject, e.g. [62–74], of which the one by M. Born and K. Huang , entitled ‘Dynamical Theory of Crystal Lattices’ is the pioneering textbook in this field. The progress in Lattice Dynamics, especially the strong mutual influence between experimental and theoretical investigations, is well documented in the three volumes ‘Phonons:Theory and Experiment’ edited by P. Briiesch [68–70].
KeywordsDispersion Curve Brillouin Zone Optical Phonon Lattice Dynamics Phonon Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Peter Joseph Debye 1884 – 1966, Nobel prize in chemistry 1936Google Scholar
- 2.Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck 1858 – 1947, Noble prize in physics 1918Google Scholar
- 3.Robert Hooke 1635 – 1703Google Scholar
- 4.Woldemar Voigt 1850 – 1919Google Scholar
- 5.Edward Teller 1908–2003, Robert Green Sachs *1916Google Scholar
- 6.Charles-Edouard Guillaume 1861 – 1938, Noble prize in physics 1920Google Scholar