Problems of Silicon Crystal for VLSI Applications
Problems of Silicon Wafers are reviewed from the standpoint of the needs of VLSI devices. After specifying the characteristics of VLSI devices the representative problems of silicon wafers are discussed. They are the flatness of a silicon wafer with a large diameter, the surface quality of the wafer, and a low density of heavy metal impurity. Finally a Gettering procedure, which is indispensable in the VLSI era is discussed from the viewpoint of the recent VLSI processing. As a result, it is emphasised that a clean processing is preferable to the conventional one of the normal grade in the VLSI Processes, even when the Gettering procedure is applied.
KeywordsSilicon Wafer Thin Oxide Layer Short Channel Effect Denude Zone VLSI Chip
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Sze, S. M. (1983). “VLSI Technology” ed. Sze, S. M., McGraw-Hill International Book Company, p. 1–2.Google Scholar
- 2).Noyce, R. N. (1981). Microelectronics, “The Microelectronics Revolution” ed. Forester, T., MIT Press, p. 29Google Scholar
- 3).Moore, G. (1980). VLSI, What Does The Future Held, Electron. 42, pp. 14Google Scholar
- 4).Hoerni, J. A. (1960). Planar Silicon Transistors and Diodes, IRE Electron. Devices Meeting, Washington, D. C.Google Scholar
- 5).El-Mansy, Y. (1982). MOS Device and Technology Constraints in VLSI, IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits SC-17(2), pp. 197–203.Google Scholar
- 7).Sun, R. C. and Clements, J. T. (1977). Characterization of Reverse-Bias Leakage Current and Their Effect on The Holding Time Characteristics of MOS Dynamic RAM Circuits, IEDM Technical Digest, p. 254.Google Scholar
- 8).Kishino, S. (1985). Material Characterization for VLSI Applications, Electrochem. Soc. ProC.of The 3rd International Sympo. on VLSI Sci. and Technol. p. 399–418.Google Scholar
- 9).Itsumi, M. and Kiyosumi, F. (1982). Origin and Elimination of Defects in SiO2 Thermally Grown on Czochralski Silicon Substrate, Appl. Phys. Lett. 40 (6), pp. 496–498.Google Scholar
- 10).Kishino, S., Yoshida, H., and Niu, H. (1991). Shift of Gettering Condition with The Transition from IC to VLSI, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. to bs published.Google Scholar
- 11).Shimizu, H., Watanabe, T., and Kakui, Y. (1985). Warpage of Czochralski-Grown Silicon Wafers as Affected by Oxygen Precipitation, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 24(7), pp.815–821.Google Scholar