Study of p + d → 3A + π reactions in the Δ-resonance region
A stack of annular detectors made of high-purity germanium was used to measure p + d → 3He + π 0 and p + d → 3H + π + differential and total cross-sections at beam momenta from 900 MeV/c to 1050 MeV/c. The total cross-sections are consistent with Δ-excitation. The differential data consist of two components. One corresponds to large momentum transfer from the projectile to the pion, the other to small momentum transfer. The former shows an independence of the slope as a function of the momentum transfer t (scaling). The scale parameter is different for π + and π 0 emission which violates isospin symmetry. The second component which is almost isotropic is in agreement with isospin symmetry. It is approximately a quarter of the total yield in the Δ-resonance region.
KeywordsMomentum Transfer Pion Production Beam Momentum Isospin Symmetry Isotropic Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Betigeri et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A 421, 447 (1999).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Betigeri et al., Nucl. Phys. A 690, 473 (2001).Google Scholar
- 3.L. Cantom, private communication.Google Scholar
- 5.N.E. Booth et al., Phys. Rev. D 4, 1261 (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Boudard et al., Phys. Lett. B 214, 6 (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Cameron et al., Nucl. Phys. A 472, 718 (1987).Google Scholar
- 10.M.A. Pickar et al., Phys. Rev. C 46, 397 (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.V. Nikulin et al., Phys. Rev. C 54, 1732 (1996).Google Scholar