Procedures to Improve the Appearance of the Meatus and Glans
The ultimate goal of hypospadias repair is to have a near-normal looking penis, functionally and cosmetically. Until 30 years ago, normal appearance of the meatus and the glans was considered a luxury or a secondary issue. Many surgeons were reluctant to operate on patients with distal glanular hypospadias as most of those boys were able to function normally. With modern sophisticated technology, however, most surgeons are now only satisfied when they achieve a near-normal appearing penis for the majority of their patients.
KeywordsHypospadias Repair Glans Penis Urethral Plate Wing Rotation Tubularised Incised Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barcat J: Current concepts of treatment. In: Horton CE (ed): Plastic and reconstructive surgery of the genital area. Little Brown, Boston, pp 249–263; 1973.Google Scholar
- Beck C: Hypospadias and its treatment. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1917; 24:511.Google Scholar
- Cronin TD, Guthrie TH: Method of Cronin and Guthrie of hypospadias repair. In: Horton CE (ed): Plastic and reconstructive surgery of the genital area. Little Brown, Boston, pp 302–314; 1973.Google Scholar
- Davis DM: The pedicle tube graft in the surgical treatment of hypospadias in the male. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1940; 71:790.Google Scholar
- Dieffenbach JF: The simple canalization method. In: Dictionnaire encyclopedique de medecine. Biblioteque Nationale de Paris, France; 1838.Google Scholar
- Duplay S: Sur le traitement chirurgical de Thypospadias et de Pepispadias. Arch Gen Med. 1880; 145:527.Google Scholar
- Hadidi AT: Y-V Glanuloplasty: a new modification in the surgery of hypospadias. Kasr El Aini Med J. 1996; 2:223–233.Google Scholar
- Hadidi AT: Lateral based flap with dual blood supply: a single stage repair for proximal hypospadias. Egypt J Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 27 (3).Google Scholar
- Mathieu P: Traitment en un temps de l’hypospadias balanique et juxta-balanique. J Chir (Paris). 1932; 39:481.Google Scholar
- Thiersch C: Ueber die Entstehungsweise und operative Behandlung der Epispadie. Arch Heilkd. 1869; 10:20.Google Scholar