Antihypoxic Effect of Gallopamil in the Brain
- 13 Downloads
There are many reports on the peripheral vasodilator properties of verapamil and gallopamil. A few studies have also been carried out on cerebral vessels; these are mainly studies in vitro on basilar artery strips (for review of literature see Flaim 1982). In 1973 Vlahov and Enzenross reported that the constriction of feline pia vessels induced in vivo by reducing the pH was inhibited by local administration of gallopamil (D 600) in concentrations upwards of 1 mg/1. In contrast, the effects of verapamil and gallopamil on metabolic reactions in the brain have not been investigated hitherto. This study was made to compare the effect of gallopamil and verapamil on cerebrocortical blood flow and energy metabolism with that of adenosine.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dora E, Kovách AGB (1982) Effect of acute arterial hypo- and hypertensin on cerebrocortical NAD/NADH redox state and vascular volume. J Cereb Blood Flow Metabol. Im DruckGoogle Scholar
- Dutta P, Mustafa SJ, Jones AW (1980) Effect of adenosine on the uptake and efflux of calcium by coronary arteries of dog (abstract). Federation Proc 39: 530Google Scholar
- Fenton PA, Bruttig SP, Rubio R, Berne RM (1982) Effect of adenosine on calcium uptake by intact and cultured vascular smooth muscle. Am J Physiol 242: H707–H804Google Scholar
- Flaim SF (1982) Comparative pharmacology of calcium blockers based on studies of vascular smooth muscle. In: Flaim SF, Zelis R, (Hrsg.) Calcium blockers — mechanisms of action and clinical applications. Urban & Schwarzenberg, Baltimore MünchenGoogle Scholar
- Ibrahim MZM (1975) Glycogen and its related enzymes of metabolism in the central nervous system. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 52:1–84Google Scholar
- Kovâch AGB, Dora E, Szedlacsek S, Koller A (1982) Effect of organic calcium antagonist, D 600, on cerebrocortical vascular and metabolic responses evoked by adenosine, anoxia and epilepsy. J Cereb Blood Flow Metabol, im DruckGoogle Scholar
- McCalden TA, Bevan JA (1981) Sources of activator calcium in rabbit basilar artery. Am J Physiol 241:H129–H133Google Scholar
- Nawrath H, Blei J, Gegner R, Ludwig Ch, Zong X (1981) No stereospecific effects of the optical isomers of verapamil and D 600 on the heart. In: Zanchetti A, Krikler OM (Hrsg.): Calcium antagonism in cardiovascular therapy. Excerpta medica, Amsterdam Oxford PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- Siesjö BK (1978) Brain Energy Metabolism. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester New York Brisbane TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Verhaeghe RH (1977) Action of adenosine and adenine nucleotides on dog’s isolated veins. Am J Physiol 233: H114–H121Google Scholar
- Winn RH, Rubio R, Berne RM (1981) Brain adenosine concentration during hypoxia in rats. Am J Physiol 241: H235–H242Google Scholar