Pruritus can be defined as the sensation that provokes the desire to scratch. It is almost always a very unpleasant sensation, although sometimes it maybe pleas?urable.
SynonymsItching is sometimes used to denote pruritus with visible skin lesions Although some distinctions can be made pruritus and itch are synonymous
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arndt K, Bowers K, Chuttani A. Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics. Boston: Little, Brown, 1995.Google Scholar
- Bernhard F. Itch. Mechanisms and Management of Pruritus. New York: McGraw Hill, 1994.Google Scholar
- Denman ST. A review of pruritus. J Am Acad Dermato1 1986; 14: 375–92.Google Scholar
- Gatti S, Serri F. Pruritus in Clinical Medicine. London: Martin Dunitz, 1991.Google Scholar
- Katsambas A, Goula M. In: Larry Millikan, ed. Antihistamines. Drug Therapy in Dermatology. Marcel Dekker, 2000: 243–51.Google Scholar
- Weisshaar E, Gollnick H. Systemic drugs with anti- pruritic potency. Skin Ther Lett 2000; 5: 1–25.Google Scholar
- Yosipovitch G, David M. The diagnostic and therapeutic approach to idiopathic generalized pruritus.Int J Dermatol 1999; 38: 881–7.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003